Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, i hit the bullseye well with .22, .32, 9mm.................i like .40 and .45 Auto also. For the most part, i think i can shoot the most accurate with the .22 :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
One just needs to adjust to each caliber and practice and you can be as accurate as you want.

As far as myself---I've shot approximately 25,000 rounds per year for the last 22 years in various calibers. I am most proficient with 3:
1. 9mm
2. .357 SIG
3. .357 Magnum (4-inch barrel)

With the .357 Sig I average 1.25" groups at 25 yds off-hand.

·
Registered
166 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
One just needs to adjust to each caliber and practice and you can be as accurate as you want.

As far as myself---I've shot approximately 25,000 rounds per year for the last 22 years in various calibers. I am most proficient with 3:
1. 9mm
2. .357 SIG
3. .357 Magnum (4-inch barrel)

With the .357 Sig I average 1.25" groups at 25 yds off-hand.
nice grouping...what is your favorite carry?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think I was always most accurate with the old Daisy red ryder BB gun(I know....I'm gonna put someone's eye out)..............Think that's a .177

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i think 9mm probably wins in my book but 38spl/.357 both seem accurate, .22 is also pretty accurate out to about 75 yards after that it's pushing it.. for me at least. .45acp is accurate but i've never shot one beyond 25yards.

i've never shot a .357 sig, 10mm, .40 does'nt seem all that hot imo but it could have been the gun i dont own one my self.

·
Registered
17 Posts
depends on what kind of "accurate" you want. I've seen some of the "old" Bulls Eye shooters come real close to putting five bullets thru a quarter size hole at 50 yds. IDPA folks seem happy with plate size groups. would think a S&W mod 14 in a Ransom Rest,with 148gr HBWC would be hard to beat for accurate. jwr

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here, someone supposes the .270 is the msot accurate caliber: http://www.chuckhawks.com/accurate_rifle_cartridges.htm
I found another website that says the .50 rifle is the most accurate.

I also noticed that it was stated in one of the articles that there are accurate weapons and good cartridges. The caliber isn't necessarily accurate. An accurate gun that fires a crummy round may give good results. A horribly inaccurate gun firing the best ammo will still give horrible results.

Most people probably shoot smaller calibers better, making them more accurate for the person.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
depends on the system and the caliber. This will also drive you nuts as well: the most accuarate caliber changes almost everyday. You got these machinist tweakers out there that cook up new rounds that will shoot flat. And with the advent of computer design you get a better bullet that resists drag and is stable at high speeds. Which is why barrett came out with the .416 which is a modern verson of the 50 cal sniper round. At first they were trying to skirt the california gun laws but they ended up with a bullet that has better stability and accuarcy than 50 cal match, plus it equals or enhances penetration of hard targets. All your stubby winchester super short magnums are a result of computer design as well. While not many have warmed up to them, they are view as a step forward. And your 5.7 and your 6.5, and 6.8 calibers are the newcomers that were to improve upon one caliber or another. As for standard rounds, you are not far off by the .270. However that caliber, a great sporting catridge though it is, is pushing forty or fifty years now and some truly amazing cartridges have come along way. The army, and navy shooting team has used the .300 winchester mag for the longest time for long range competition because it's mass and velocity isn't affected by wind or temp as much as a lighter round. .223 and .308's are used for the camp perry matches but they use a custom match bullets that are heavier than combat loads and the bullets are designed more uniformly to get and even weight distribution to avoid the projectile from tumbling at longer distances.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.