Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like there is a possibility I will be getting one before too long.
The Church that the neighbors down the street go to is having some special thing for Mother's day Moms, and for the Hubbys a skeet shoot!
My Wife was at the neighbor's house tonight talking quilting and such with her and told me about it when she got back.
I said skeet uses a shotgun and I don't have one!
BTW, the Church allows Conceal Carry! (Baptist, if anyone cares)
Now I have to wait and see what happens the next trip to Wally World and if they have one.

Oh, what shot is best for skeet?
I know zilch about it.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Most traditional Skeet shotguns are very expensive, and are normally configured with the barrels either side by side or over and under. The barrels have two different chokes that determine what the shot pattern will be over a particular distance or range. For instance, when a clay bird is released, it is moving across and away from you. Your first shot would be from the barrel with the "Skeet" choke, which provides a tighter shot pattern at a closer range, whereas if you required a follow up shot it would be from the second barrel with an "Improved" or "Modified" choke, which produces a tight pattern at a farther distance. I personally would not recommend a Mavrick model for Skeet, due to these models having only one barrel with a single choke. This would mean that if you missed with your first shot, your follow up shot would almost certainly miss as well.

I would however recommend it for Home Defense or Hunting. The 88 All Purpose model has a Cylinder choke which is good for upland bird hunting, the 88 Slug model for big game, or the 88 Special Purpose for Home Defense.

Hope this helps you :)

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did look up skeet shooting, and Wikipedia had a good synopsis of it.
Apparently pump shotguns are also used, which is why asked about what shot to use.
Just going to do it for fun, not competition, don't care if I miss.
Any excuse to shoot!

Um, what do you know about turkey shoots? Slugs? Seems buckshot wouldn't do.
Closest shot to the center of the target at 25 yards wins.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
If the skeet shoot from church is informal and for fun, those can be "bring what ya got" events. I'm no skeet shooter, but I have gone skeet shooting with the high and low house for informal target practice. Everyone shows up with what they have to brush up for hunting season. If that's all your church is doing gwk1951, then have at it with the Mossie.

If the Church members are serious shooters, then yeah, you might have a different situation entirely and that Mossie wouldn't be the ideal tool.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I use Target Load for my Skeet shooting. I have both a pump and a semi-auto. I prefer my 12ga Remington 1100 because of the significantly reduced kick as compared to the Pump.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking it's just a fun outing to shoot, may not even be real skeet, it may just be trap shooting.
With those little spring loaded launchers on the ground.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
The best ammo for skeet or trap, I have found, is the cheapest you can buy because you will shoot a lot!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize it's going to be an informal shoot for fun. In that case yes, run what ya brung...

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I was at Bass Pro looking for the stuff they don't have.
Checked on shotgun prices, OUCH!
The cheapest was a Remington something for $319, and others went to $1600!!!!
At least shells were what I consider reasonable.
Federal 12Ga. 25 for $6.00, target load.
Forget what the load was. No shotgun yet, so just getting an idea of prices.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I like to shoot skeet. Shot 3 rounds yesterday. . I shoot a mossberg 500 pump 20 guage. It has interchangable chokes and I do just fine. Use the smallest shot you can get without spending too much $. 7.5 or 8 shot would be fine. Remember to lead the bird and follow through with your swing. And have fun...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts