Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mossberg International™ 715T (Tactical .22 LR Rifle)

I found one today for $269, no sights and no adjustable stock. Has anyone had any issues with these, are they ammo finicky, etc?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Shop I work at has sold lots of these (500+) and the only problem we have seen have been specific to that particular gun and not many of them. We sell them for $249.99 so that sounds like a pretty good price.

The biggest drawback I have with them is that they are not much use for cheap training for your 5.56 AR. The controls are all in the wrong place, other than tan I like them.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I don't own one. My understanding is they are a 702 plinkster with a new dress. With that I know the 702 they are extremely reliable eat everything it is feed, it's pretty accurate to 100 yard tack drivers to 50 yards

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I don't own one. My understanding is they are a 702 plinkster with a new dress. With that I know the 702 they are extremely reliable eat everything it is feed, it's pretty accurate to 100 yard tack drivers to 50 yards
You are exactly correct. It's a 702 Plinkster with a plastic shell.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I have the exact same model as above. I like to watch the kids shoot it mostly. I do not like the small rear sights or the fact that the handle can't be removed. I have a TruGlo Red Dot but it mounts so high on the handle above the sightline that it is not useful. I wished I had purchased the flat top instead. Maybe I can get one from Mossberg since its just a plastic shell.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
You are exactly correct. It's a 702 Plinkster with a plastic shell.
BINGO - they are exactly that and the external shells are not all that well formed. A lot of kids graduated from paintball when they got this for Christmas as their 1st gun (or something like that. I'm a moderator on a Mossberg forum and am glad that is not my area. I have a 702 that I like a lot. But it is what it is and with a fistful of 10 round mags and a scope it's a pretty good bargain shooter / hunter. It is not an AR based gun as many of the new owners (ready, shoot, aim) soon find out when they want an adjustable stock or a place to attach a single point sling. They cut off the carry handle (some versions come flat top) and have a laundry list of Tacti-Kool items that they just can't wait to buy. Yes, some of them will become the next generation of dedicated shooting enthusiasts...

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I found one today for $269, no sights and no adjustable stock. Has anyone had any issues with these, are they ammo finicky, etc?

Take a look at the full range of the 702s by Mossberg - they come in various states of trim also and will shoot every bit as well as the 715. They are NOT finicky about ammo. The 702 is a LOT like the classic Marlin 60 but rather than an internal 14 rd. magazine (IIRC) the 702 comes with an external 10 round and spares cost about $15 each. The 25 round IS specific to each model. Personally I'd just as soon swap 3 mags quickly than spend the extra money for the banana. The 25 round mag is just a plastic housing and different spring stuck to the 10 round mag housing. Here's a 5 round 50 yard target and a 3 shot 100 round target that I shot yesterday with the 702 and a Simmons 3-9 x 32mm scope:

Circle Recreation
Recreation Circle Shooting sport

Both were seated - the 50 yd. is a .804" group (5 shots) the 100 yd. is 1.354" group (3 shots). Targets are 8,5 x 11".

I have under $200 in the gun and the scope.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I have the exact same model as above. I like to watch the kids shoot it mostly. I do not like the small rear sights or the fact that the handle can't be removed. I have a TruGlo Red Dot but it mounts so high on the handle above the sightline that it is not useful. I wished I had purchased the flat top instead. Maybe I can get one from Mossberg since its just a plastic shell.
Yes - that was a design error - there may be sights and scopes that will work from that location IMHO Mosberg should have them for sale as an add on or with the gun. The noobs don't know what to do and we try and help.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I thinking I'll pass one this one. I really want the GSG HK clone but they are impossible to find.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I just got off the phone with Mossberg. I called them to order the black synthetic stock to convert the 715t back into a 702.

For sale (I will post in classified with pics) 715t shell with fixed stock and fixed handle, front sight, front sling mount, forehand guard with rails, and the 25-round mag. $75 shipped

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
There are plenty of sights / scopes that will mont to the 3/8" dovetail or you can get 3/8 to weaver risers that open up the optics options a lot. A red dot might be great for younger shooters. Simmons makes a scope line that work very well with 22lr - mine is better glass than the adjustable Bushnell Banner that I use in competition AND paid more for.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yep - ditto that. I have a 702. See results at 50 & 100 yds in the monthly Taurus Armed shootout section in the Firing Line section of this forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CB, If darel didn't buy the plastics and you still have them, I'd like to grab them. I love my 702 as do my 2 sons but I like the look of the 715.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
i have the flat top version 715T and the last time I took my grandson to the range, he burned thru 200 rounds before he would let go of it. WE LIKE.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts