Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under recoil, I keep hitting my nose with my thumb. It's the only shotgun I own that does this. I'm thinking of replacing my stock with a Magpul.

Has anyone had an issue with the Magpul stocks?

Thanks,

dm

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500 with the Magpul stock on it. I like it a lot. It does have 2 inches, in half inch increments, of adjustment in the LOP so maybe that will help. And you can get optional cheek risers for it.

·
Super Moderator
35,023 Posts
My mossbergs have all shot high for me, pointed high, not enough drop at comb. My 500, if I fired a box up a morning, I guarantee you would cut my cheek to the point it would swell and then cut and bleed. I just toughed it out for years, then I learned about proper stock fit and how to shim to adjust it with plastic shims cut from pop bottles. Now, both of my current Mossies are sweet, point naturally where I look, and my shooting has improved while the cutting and bruising of my cheek stopped. Perceived recoil is a LOT less, to the point that my cheek stays untouched and the gun points where I look which has greatly improved my shooting. My CZ redhead pointed naturally out of the box, why I wanted. It's also a pretty gun, well made.

Mossberg makes a shim set for the 500s, but making 'em is not hard at all.

·
Super Moderator
35,023 Posts
BTW, improper drop combined with improper length of pull (too short), which is common with defensive shotguns, can cause nose bleeds. I absolutely CRINGE when I see people suggest a too short length of pull on a defensive shotgun. Fit and physics doesn't change with the target or the use of the gun. Pointing a properly fit shotgun will get you on target much faster, whether the target has feathers or arms and legs and reduce felt recoil too boot. :D

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the 590A1 a lot. 2-3/4" slug loads and heavy buckshot is the problem. My 870's and Nova's don't cause me to hit myself in the nose, or my old steel plate gun that was made from a Marlin 120 Magnum. The Marlin has seen usage from the Mid 80's to this last winter as a plate and practical course gun. It failed this spring when it locked up like it was filled with cement. I like the Nova's, but alternate barrels are pricey. One Nova barrel cost what 3 of the Marlins guns cost me over the years.

In my case, the 590a1 has too much drop at the comb. I tried a trap stock on it yesterday, and it felt too high. So I think a Magpul SGA is the right direction for me to go. Now trying to find one in stock will be a problem.

Thanks,

Maloy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts