Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me about this 22? My girlfriend wants a bolt action and I found one for about $280.00 what do I look for,is it worth it,any suggestions? She wants a wood stock single shot, bolt action 22. I want to get her back into shooting and need to get her what she will shoot. Thanks,John

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
The Model 46B is a fine but old rifle. It was produced by Mossberg from 1938 to early 1941 when production was interrupted by WWII. After the war the guns were again produced from 1947 through late 1949. The post war model was renamed Model 46B-B.

It is a tube magazine fed bolt action rifle.

These rifles were mainly produced as target rifles. For this reason most were produced with a #4 peep sight and a hooded front sight or with a Mossberg Model M4D4 scope.

Depending on condition the Model 46B is worth $75 - $250 on the general market. If sold to a collector the price can be whatever the price will bear. I will say this, if the rifle has a complete set of peep and hooded front sights it should bring a premium. A set of those sights without the rifle are bringing about $100 and that is with a reproduction peep sight!

If your rifle is in excellent condition and you want it as a collectible that $280 is not a ridiculous price.

Now if your GF wants a wood stock, single shot, bolt action, .22 rifle there are a bazillion other good choices. Just about every pawn shop and/or gun shop has one of those in a corner somewhere. Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Ithaca, Springfield, and probably all other manufacturers have produced this type of rifle. Check everywhere, including gun shows. If you live in a state with gun friendly laws (like here in Florida) you can find rifles of this type in the want ads of your paper. Penny Ads are another place to look. Don't forget to check flea markets and yard sales!

These old single shot rifles can be bought between $50 and $75 practically everywhere. They are pretty much bomb proof and you can't really wear them out.

Hope this helps in your quest and I sincerely hope you get your GF into shooting regularly.

Shoot safe!

Don

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.