Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to go to the range and wasn't going to let 1-3 inches of snow stop me! Of course cold, snowy weather makes me think about a gun that probably saw a lot of each...the M44.
First shot was wide left! Oh yeh... extend the bayonet. From then on... it was right on! It is still a MOZ (minute of zombie) gun!

My favorite targets were cans of generic orange soda. Orange soda splattered on a white blanketed bank - it makes a great reactive and hi-viz target! Also shot at some blocks of 4X4 - sometimes shooting the cans off the blocks and then shooting the blocks. Also had a impact seal polymer target..kinda boring - should have went with the ball instead of the cube maybe.
I shot both Russian and Albanian 147g ammo which all worked fine and shot close to identical at the ranges I was shooting.
Fun day! Haven't shot with gloves on in a while!

I spared Diane - Sam....no!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I like my mosins very much I have the hungarian variant m44 (48 minta) and a Russian 91/30 not pricey but tough and accurate and easy to clean. and ammo is cheap and reliable.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like my mosins very much I have the hungarian variant m44 (48 minta) and a Russian 91/30 not pricey but tough and accurate and easy to clean. and ammo is cheap and reliable.
I also have a 91/30 - a 1939 Tula! Love them both - in addition to your points, they are fun to shoot and fun for history buffs. I forgot to mention that I have MOJO sights on both of my mosins - the front and rear peep on my M44 and the rear peep on my 91/30...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I also have a 91/30 - a 1939 Tula! Love them both - in addition to your points, they are fun to shoot and fun for history buffs. I forgot to mention that I have MOJO sights on both of my mosins - the front and rear peep on my M44 and the rear peep on my 91/30...
My 91/30 is a 1943 izhevsk

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
Lots of Moisan-Nagant 91/30's around here, but have been holding out for a M-44 carbine.

If you can find one at all they want twice the price of it's longer brothers, go figure.
:icon_ rasta:

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Cool shooting and cool target. I've fired at that same type target with a pistol at an indoor range in the past. There's all kinds of things to shoot at on a target like that. :angel:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 91/30 is a 1943 izhevsk
My M44 is an Izhevsk

Lots of Moisan-Nagant 91/30's around here, but have been holding out for a M-44 carbine.

If you can find one at all they want twice the price of it's longer brothers, go figure.
I suppose there is a thread somewhere about gun buying regrets. I was at Aimsurplus several years ago and literally had a M38 in one hand and an M44 in the other. I bought the M44. Why I didn't buy both I'll never know.... they were going for about $79 back then!

Reactions: centaur70

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Everybody should own a Mosin Nagant. They are hell-for-tough and very accurate.

Love my 91/30 and M44. Both are terrific shooters. I'm having a hard time deciding on pulling the furniture off of the 91/30 and putting a synthetic stock on it, or leaving it on the original wood and just cleaning it up some and freefloating the barrel. Either way, it's getting a scope mount and a long distance scope.

I'm leaving the M44 pristine. I could never bring myself to change it up.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like tons of fun! I do think I can do without the snow and cold!
We ended up with about 3 inches of snow and sleet.....AND... 3-6 more inches expected tomorrow!! Everyone here getting a little fatigued with it.

Sweet, Like the targets....where in PA are you, I am in the Lehigh Valley area. I haven't made it to the range in awhile.
Take a map of Pa and stick a pin in the dead center...that's me!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My M44 is an Izhevsk

I suppose there is a thread somewhere about gun buying regrets. I was at Aimsurplus several years ago and literally had a M38 in one hand and an M44 in the other. I bought the M44. Why I didn't buy both I'll never know.... they were going for about $79 back then!

oooooh Ouch Yeah that woulda been a good one.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
I could have bought 'em all day long 20 years ago for 33 dollars a pop. But, I have milsurps and never was a huge Moisin nagant fan. It's a Mannlicher design, much as is my old 88 commission rifle I never shoot. Hunting? I don't need it for that. They are accurate, but so are my 3 hunting rifles in .257 Roberts, .308 Winchester, and 7mm Remington Magnum.

I did make some deals back then, though. I got a Spanish Mauser in 7x57 for 60 bucks. I got a SKS rifle for 75 bucks and a paratrooper carbine for 115. I got a Hakim 8x57 caliber semi auto battle rifle for 80 bucks. THAT one is fun. :D There were some killer deals on milsurps back in the day. That's about dried up now, though one can still find Moisin Nagants pretty reasonable. 3 years ago, Gander was selling some for 100 a pop. That ain't bad for Gander Mountain who's usually a bit high. I bought a Radom P64 pistol there that day for 200.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just picked up my first Mosin night before last, 1944 Izhevsk. Can't wait to get her to the range.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just picked up my first Mosin night before last, 1944 Izhevsk 91/30. Can't wait to get her to the range.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just picked up my first Mosin night before last, 1944 Izhevsk 91/30. Can't wait to get her to the range.
Congrats! Enjoy!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice! LOVE MOSINS!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts