Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
22,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me you all didn't see this coming... :D

I was in the Lone Tree CO Cabelas earlier this week, and there were a dozen or so Mosin Nagants on one of the rifle racks. I picked up one marked 1943, and the historical rush was amazing. It was a real "holy $h%@, this is a real piece of world history that I can buy and shoot" kind of moment. I could just imagine the factory workers, furiously making rifles all day and reading the news from the front on his or her all too short breaks. But I knew Black Friday was coming, so I contented myself with exploring the store (it's amazing - especially the taxidermy) and doing some on line digging after we left. Really - it's a great store. And the staff is amazing.

Anyway, back we went on Black Friday, and I spent a good half hour or more perusing the various options. Most of what they had were 1943 Izhevsk manufacture, with a 1944 and a 1941 thrown in for good measure. But there were also a couple of pre-1940 rifles. I looked at the muzzles, I opened the actions, I ruled out a couple for really unusually rough stocks. A guy wandered up and offered some advice; he was a 91/30 collector, and had some good points to offer. And a bore light. So did a very helpful sales associate. Really, I was very impressed with how helpful and personable the staff was, especially considering it was Black Friday. I was torn between the rough, must-save-the-Rodina determination of the 1943 guns and the must-have-fought-in-every-battle pre-war rifles.

I finally settled on a 1937 Tula rifle with what seems to be a pretty good bore. It's got matching numbers on the receiver, bolt, magazine, and buttplate. The magazine might not be original though, because while it has matching numbers, it also has some numbers that are struck through. The stock has metal plates around the sling holes. Having gotten the rifle home, cleaned the bore, and taken a closer look, I'm very pleased. It has tall lands and deep grooves from the muzzle to the chamber. Can't wait to see how it shoots.

Okay, okay, I hear you. Here are some pictures.

DSC02718.JPG

DSC02719.JPG

DSC02720.JPG

DSC02721.JPG

That's right, 2000 meters, baby.
DSC02722.JPG

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Very nice!

Were they priced uniformly or according to perceived value?? You see so many in a trunk and 'you pick' for $175 (or whatever the deal is/was).

They ARE getting snatched up!

·
22,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the business end.

DSC02723.JPG

From the training camp, just west of the Ural mountains, 1940.
DSC02724.JPG

Cabela's firearms purchase process was fairly well thought out. Provide the background check form information using a computer system, stand in line to check and sign the printed form, and if you're fortunate, get a buzzer that will tell you when your check is finished. They ran out of buzzers, so I just somehow managed to kill an hour or so before getting in the "pay and go" line. It took me maybe 30-45 minutes to get through that line, and a few minutes later I was out the door. I didn't get there too early, so the lines weren't too outrageous. They were much worse earlier in the day, I was told. And I believe it. Again, their staff was outstanding.

I got a box of brass case rounds from PPU, and I'll be getting some more for when I start reloading. We'll see how she shoots soon; maybe even today. But I've got my piece of history. I've never been disappointed with a military surplus firearm, and I'm sure this will be no different.

·
22,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Last picture didn't show.
Let's try again.

DSC02722.JPG

Were they priced uniformly or according to perceived value?? You see so many in a trunk and 'you pick' for $175 (or whatever the deal is/was).

They ARE getting snatched up!
It was a "you-pick." Any Mosin on the rack for $139. Couldn't pass it up; I don't see them coming down from that price.

The question I'm pondering now is whether I should refinish the stock. There are pictures in the "My Wonderful Mosin" thread that really make me want to, but part of me wants to leave it in arsenal condition. Anybody have a relevant opinion?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Let's try again.

View attachment 102195

It was a "you-pick." Any Mosin on the rack for $139. Couldn't pass it up; I don't see them coming down from that price.

The question I'm pondering now is whether I should refinish the stock. There are pictures in the "My Wonderful Mosin" thread that really make me want to, but part of me wants to leave it in arsenal condition. Anybody have a relevant opinion?
Nope - the $175 I mentioned is where I am seeing them now when they are still in cosmoline or just out of it. $139 is a steal!

They are becoming the new SKS.

I sold my milsurp guns to go with modern sporting rifles (which I am enjoying quite a lot!). Now two of my neighbors have Mosins and I've totally enjoyed shooting them - like the round and have so far resisted the urge to grab one.

We'll see. At $139 and I have a friend who works at the local Cabela's...

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
24,546 Posts
Congrats on your new Mosin. Those are great guns.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Out of curiosity, were the Cabela's Mosins somewhat clean or still soaked in cosmoline? Did the include the standard accessories (bayonet, tools, oil can, ammo pouch, etc.)?

Sent from my Huawei Phablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,596 Posts
Let's try again.

View attachment 102195

I'd leave it as is. I like the old mil iron to look like old mil iron. If they're all refurbished, bright and shiny, they just don't look authentic anymore. The stock on my '03 Swede is pretty beat but I won't do a thing to it and as much as I really, really want to, I won't put a scope on it either. I hope to find another Swede but like my Enfield, already sported/modfied so it won't bother me to alter it. I hold a strong reverence for military rifles, actually got in my CC's face in bootcamp when I caught him throwing an M1 Garand drill rifle down on the deck during one of his hissy fits. :mad: I coulda' got in a lot of trouble for that, I suppose but both the Division Officer and Chief were there watching and nobody said squat. Actually, as I returned to ranks, I swear I saw the DO grinning.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I have the Chinese T53 and really like it. I want a Russian Mosin, but waiting for a M38 or a M91/59. I like the short rifles.

A lot of people will not reload for the 7.62x54R because milspec can be bought so cheaply. I do load for mine and find it rewarding. Plus it has the added benefit of no corrosive primers.

As far as refinishing , I would not if it were in decent shape, as yours seems to be. I did smooth out the stock on my T53, it was rough. It will probably get a refinish job.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I did refinish the stock on mine as little as possible.
I removed the iron and then lightly sanded the wood with I think was 200 grit.
Then I gave it a coat of MinWax Spar Urethane that I had lying around.
SN851969.JPG
Sanded.
Before and after.
SN851955.JPG SN851972.JPG

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I went to Cabela's to pick one up once on a sale weekend and they were out. It's a 80 mile round trip. I won't do that again. I got a Chinese Mosin for 189 online and never looked back.

·
Registered
14,655 Posts
With the mosins, if you want to refinish, just buy a replacement stock. sweating out the cosmoline is a royal pain in the keester. If you have a decent stock, then leave it as it is. The cabelas models tend not to be too bad as far as Comoline. Unfortunately, they come with the bayonet only. I picked up a couple of accessory kits during the summer for like 4 bucks each. If you plan on reloading, then pick a few boxes of silver bear or brown bear then buy the rest in brass. If you dont plan on reloading, buy spam cans like they're going out of style. Remember, this is a battle rifle that is almost 125 years old. Expect it to last just as long and have the ammo to last that length of time. The spamcan ammo is also a much hotter load than SAAMI spec.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'd leave it as is. I like the old mil iron to look like old mil iron. If they're all refurbished, bright and shiny, they just don't look authentic anymore. The stock on my '03 Swede is pretty beat but I won't do a thing to it and as much as I really, really want to, I won't put a scope on it either. I hope to find another Swede but like my Enfield, already sported/modfied so it won't bother me to alter it. I hold a strong reverence for military rifles, actually got in my CC's face in bootcamp when I caught him throwing an M1 Garand drill rifle down on the deck during one of his hissy fits. :mad: I coulda' got in a lot of trouble for that, I suppose but both the Division Officer and Chief were there watching and nobody said squat. Actually, as I returned to ranks, I swear I saw the DO grinning.
I agree - keep the patina of history unless something is a structural problem!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your "new" rifle.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts