Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I actually watched this before you posted. Sure gives me confidence in my Russian beauties!!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Boy they sure put some hot loads through that thing. I mean dangerously hot. They mean it when they say don't try it at home!

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Considering the temperatures that the Mosin rifles were designed to operate in, they need to be stout. Add in the WWII conscripts level of education, and you need something tank-strong to survive. Millions of these did just that. They aren't particularly pretty, but they are durable.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Problem is there is no vent hole for the gasses to go if a case ruptures. All that hot gas gets vented back in the shooter's face. So I would be very careful shooting anything but standard factory ammo in these guns. And if you are worried about such things, any competent gunsmith can rectify that slight design flaw to a very robust rifle.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Fill that case up with unique and see what happens, 2400 is a slow powder as far as handguns are concerned.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Problem is there is no vent hole for the gasses to go if a case ruptures. All that hot gas gets vented back in the shooter's face. So I would be very careful shooting anything but standard factory ammo in these guns. And if you are worried about such things, any competent gunsmith can rectify that slight design flaw to a very robust rifle.
It's tough to be too conservative with such a thing.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If you read the history of the design and selection process of the nagant rifle, you will find that like any other design in that region, it was based upon economic compromise. The Czar needed a new rifle that shot those fancy new smokeless powder shells the west was coming up with. He did not want to spend a lot of money on each rifle because he needed a lot of them to put down these new Bolsheviks that were cropping up everywhere. The vent hole was an added cost to a rifle that would prevent an incident that might occur in a one in million chance and while rifles were hard to replace, conscripts were not so you have this "modern" rifle with a slight flaw because the man with the checkbook had more conscripts to throw away than money. There is probably better chance that you will encounter a shell rupture than winning the lottery, but only a slightly better one. But it does happen and the chances increase with poorer and older ammo.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
The video did not surprise me at all. The MN 91/30 is built like a tank.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
part 2... wonder what will happen.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
it a heavy rifle for a reason, ive only shot factory commie stuff thru my group, they build stuff too last

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What shocked me is that bayonet broke that brick I figured for sure that would of bent the bayonet on the first strike. Certainly more then I'd ever do to any gun I own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts