Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just completed sitting in a CHL Class with my wife so that she can start carrying. I have my CHL already and finally talked her into it. Anyways, the instructor stressed that no one should carry Hollowpoints or Hydrashock ammunition because it is more prone to jam and that FMJ should be the only way to go. I have always carried Federal Hyrdrashock ammo and even test fired a box without any issues. I'd like to see what you guys think... :???:

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Hmmm! Seem like every instructor has their own idea's. Whether based on penitration, or reliability. Mine said, find out what works in your guns reliably, and carry that. He did like some say, tell us not to use reloads in PD carry. For the legal reasons that have been discussed, and cussed about here.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I carry hollow point in my 9. It works fine and then you don't have to worry about over-penetrating and exiting the other side.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
That's the first instructor in recent years I've heard advise against using hollow points.

All FMJ's have on HP's is penetration---and that's not a good thing especially in the home or close quarters with bystanders around.

Newer JHP's are extremely accurate and reliable with good penetration and expansion. All you have to do is run a couple hundred rounds of your carry ammo through your gun to make sure it will function properly.

·
Registered
959 Posts
+1 Use what works... Rule Number #1...<:))

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
My instructor urged against FMJs because of overpenetration. I use hollow points in my .40 and jacketted hollow points in my 9mm.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
my instructor told us to use them even at the range.i do not really know why he said to use them at the range but i remember there was a good reason.if i am not at the range my gun has hollows in them.just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Congrats on your wife getting her CFP!

My instructor said to never use FMJ because of over penetration issues, so there you go. Stick with what works best in your gun and what your preference is. +1

·
Registered
12 Posts
yep 1 reliable gun 2. reliable ammo (at least 200 no problem run..yes it can get expensive, but you really really really want your carry ammo to WORK in your gun.

Only time I used to us fmj was in my .380 keltek p3at, but now that i've switched to corbon's powerball ammo (think fmj with a hard polymor tip) i'm switching lots of my auto's over to it. It
's real expensive.

Now I did have an old .45 acp that didn't like jhp so I fed it fmj. I'd love to ask the instrutor what his theory was on fmj and jamming.

my pt111 2nd gen millenium pro eats anything i've given her and so does my xd 45 service model.

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
I just shot the Taurus brand 45 99.9% copper hollow points and they fired great out of my pt1911 corbon makes them so the DPX is the same round. my 45 is the only gun I'd shoot fmj out of the rest get hollow points.
Federal Hydrashock is a great ammo and is the prefered ammo of a lot of people. most my friends carry it. :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
afrats said:
I carry hollow point in my 9. It works fine and then you don't have to worry about over-penetrating and exiting the other side.
I totally agree with you afrats. I just read an article in Combat Handguns May 2008 and it was by Massad Ayoob
explaining the dangers of over penetration by hard ball ammo.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
as was already said the only thing FMJ will buy you is penetration.. so if you wanna shoot thru cardoors or something then FMJ it is.. but in most cases JHP's will be much better trade off of good penetration with a larger wound.. the last thing you want is for it to go all the though someone and then have the bullet hit or kill someone else not intending.

he is right though some guns do jam up if not a lot then at least more with hallow points however this is gun/ammo specific thats why you should test some of your carry ammo to make sure your gun is happy with it.

there is also some expanding FMJ rounds out there as well as a few with round noises.. powerball has a polymer (or is it rubber?) ball in the hollow point's cavity so that it will feed better.

so check your carry ammo with your gun.. once you're sure it's gonna work then no problem and no reason to carry FMJ.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Shoot what works reliably. I just picked up some golden sabre jhp to try. supposedly the projectile is shaped to mimic fmj. looking at it it appears so. i carry 2 clips 1 with fmj and 1 with jhp. fmj just in case your pinned down and need penetration. the jhp are loaded in the sidearm initally. you can always swap out with 1 round chambered so you don't get caught with your pants down! remember if your going to shoot'm thru the wall on the side of a door jam, shoot about groin high in case they are kneeling. in a parking lot shoot'm in the ankels. most people are to stupid to take cover behind the rubber. and never use a car door for a shield unless it is lined with kevlar. IMHO the best companion to my .45 is a good vest in a bad nieghborhood ;)

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Most manufacturers shape their hollowpoints in a semi-FMJ profile these days anyway, so that you won't encounter feed issues. And even on the modern 1911's, the feed ramp is polished and it has a throat job right out of the box.....this is to facilitate using hollowpoint ammunition. I would think that generally, hollowpoints are no issue, especially if you've put 200 rounds through your gun with no problems.

In this issue of Combat Handguns, Mas Ayoob talks about hollowpoints and prosecutors that try to use the argument that you're loaded with something that is meant to kill and only kill, or some such rubbish lawyers come up with. The defense for that is, that you're using hollowpoints because you're first of all concerned about overpenetration and the injury or death of bystanders, and second the high probability of ricochets if the round hits something metal. It's a great article, by the way.

·
Registered
846 Posts
texastaurus is correct, the old hollow points were lead nose and soft, would give problems, not new ones, with the .40 and .45's of today do you want to go through the 2 or 3 people behind the person your your defending yourself against.

·
Registered
230 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
My instructor urged against FMJs because of overpenetration. I use hollow points in my .40 and jacketted hollow points in my 9mm.
what's the difference between your two guns' ammo? Hollowpoints versus jacketed hollow points?

Are you actually carrying lead without a jacket in the 40?

·
Registered
230 Posts
an other defense against the lawyer trying to say you're using an ammo that is meant to kill and only to kill, is to point out that 90% or more of all national and local police orgs use hollowpoint ammo for precisely the above reasons.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts