1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
So basically, it was a mechanical pencil with a pistol grip?

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Wait! Maybe it was an action figure gun. I can't tell you how any of those little guns my son lost while playing with his 4" tall Star Wars action figures.

Reactions: Plano Mark

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
For comparison, the average human hair is about .003". So we're talking about a projectile about 1/2 the diameter of a human hair. Single Stack mag has capacity of approx. 222,133 rounds. (assuming 1/2 width x 4" long mag, and .003 dia, round)

·
Super Moderator
21,451 Posts
I saw that also and just shook my head!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Glad they got that monster of a gun off the streets. What's that old saying - death by a 1000 paper cuts? Death by a thousand splinters shot from that thing:D

Reactions: Ebha and Plano Mark

·
Super Moderator
13,810 Posts
What do ya wanna bet that someone on Facebook makes a big deal about the destructive killing power of the .45mm round, and how it needs to be outlawed to prevent another Ferguson event from occurring?

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
i didn't think you could get much wimpier than a 9sillymeter! I guess I was wrong. :D:D:D :icon_ poke::icon_ poke:

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
The gangs that carry those are just splinter factions. :D

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
1 inch = 25.4mm

1 / 25.4 = 0.0397"

0.45mm is 0.177 inch. Like a .17HMR rimfire.

Sorry, I'm a machinist. I have to know these things. :)

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 inch = 25.4mm

1 / 25.4 = 0.0397"

0.45mm is 0.177 inch. Like a .17HMR rimfire.

Sorry, I'm a machinist. I have to know these things. :)

All the Best,
D. White
I think you did your math backwards.

1mm = 1/25.4" or 0.03937 in

.45mm is 0.017717 in

Sent from my Huawei Phablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Harry Callahan: "Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .45 mm, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

Just doesn't sound right.

·
Super Moderator
13,810 Posts
I'm glad I catch most of my goofs before you guys get to see them.:D
I used to. In the past I'd spend several minutes using the "Go Advanced", then the "Preview" functions to make sure I had everything perfect before posting. It ain't workin' this week, I keep missing stuff, it's got me a little concerned.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
For comparison, the average human hair is about .003". So we're talking about a projectile about 1/2 the diameter of a human hair. Single Stack mag has capacity of approx. 222,133 rounds. (assuming 1/2 width x 4" long mag, and .003 dia, round)

Uh.... last I checked .. 0.0177 was LARGER than 0.003. But I didn't use commom core math, so I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
oops, thumby-fingers, i added an extra "0".

But the other machinist is incorrect. If 1mm = .03937, then .45mm is .0177165, roughly seventeen thousandths and 7 ten-thoudandths (often incorrectly, but acceptably called tenths). Still capacity of a standard magazine would hold over 22k rounds. So the round is about as big around as 6 human hairs. OOhhh, big scary gun...

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Yep!
I have listened a very small amount of the BS about this.
Basically It the same old George Zimmerman "with a badge" setup.
the policeman was wrong regardless of what the black teenager did.
You hear these pundits on both sides talking about why did the policeman shoot that many times, why did he not just wound the attacker, why did he shoot him at 30 feet away.
They need to put a ballistic expert on the show and explain exactly what one can be guaranteed with a single gun shot.
I think the Policeman did a professional job in the occurence, not saying it was right or wrong the Grand Jury determined that.
but any Police officer that can fire 8 rounds at a moving target and put all 8 in the target has some pretty good training if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts