Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your gun was made between 1973-1977. It has the third Taurus logo (adopted in 1973) and its serial number is lower than those made in November, 1977.

Unfortunately, there's no table with digit-only Taurus serial numbers. Tecnhical manuals mentions only dates and serial numbers when changings were introduced.

To answer you with more accuracy, I need to have two serial numbers with known dates - one older and another newer that your gun. But I found only a newer serial number.

·
Registered
166 Posts
About grooved cylinder flutes: please consider October, 1979 as a ending date (last serial number 123.342) 1978 is valid for .38 Special caliber.

November, 1977: Reaching serial number 111.447, barrel rifling was changed to a tighter pitch (from 1 turn/400 milimeteres to 1 turn/381 milimeters).

WARNING: Taurus .22 LR revolvers up to 111.450 serial number DOES NOT HAS HAMMER BLOCK SYSTEM. It can fire if dropped. Always keep an empty chamber in front of firing pin!

·
Super Moderator
38,569 Posts
Nice old revolver. Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Taurus 94 revolver, with 6-rounds cylinder, was made up to February, 1982. Last serial number is 133.500. Barrel length was only 4 inches.

A new version of Taurus 94, with a 9-round cylinder, was released in December, 1987. Barrel options were 3 and 4 inches.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Taurus 94 revolver, with 6-rounds cylinder, was made up to February, 1982. Last serial number is 133.500. Barrel length was only 4 inches.

A new version of Taurus 94, with a 9-round cylinder, was released in December, 1987. Barrel options were 3 and 4 inches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

thanks for these informations ! very very cool

according to you, it is possible to find documentation on this revolver ? datasheet exploded view ? etc...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the technical factory manual, wroten by a retired Forensic Expert on Ballistics, Mr. Domingos Tocchetto. Unfortunately, this book was not translated to other languages. It's available only in Portuguese.

Title: "Armas Taurus: Uma Garantia de Segurança".
Authors: Domingos Tocchetto and João Alberto Weingaertner.

About exploded view: this book shows only the newer version of Taurus 94, with 9-rounds cylinder. Technical data available:
Weight: 640 grams.
Finish: blued or nickel plated.
Barrel: 4 inches.
Rifling: 6, right hand twist, 1 turn in 400 milimeters.

I have also an original manual of that time, but the cutaway view cover only the .38 Special model. There's some mechanical differences to .22 LR revolvers, like the firing pin and the hammer block safety.

I made the calculations with the serial number of your gun. Result is July, 1977. But I used the serial numbers of two newer guns instead "one older, another newer". I make a estimative of volume of production in a determined period and make a progression to find your serial number in that sequence.

·
Registered
166 Posts
thanks for these informations ! very very cool

according to you, it is possible to find documentation on this revolver ? datasheet exploded view ? etc...
There´s the original Taurus Instructions Manual from 1973-1977 period. Please note that a .38 Special revolver is shown.

I don´t know if Taurus printed a different manual for .22 LR versions, due the mechanical differences.

Please see the fifth image. I highlighted the differences. Parts with RED contour are DIFFERENT in .22 LR revolvers (hammer and firing pin). Parts with BLUE contour are ABSENT in your gun.

If you wish to print in original size, front and back cover has 20 x 11 centimeters. Image 2 size is 15 x 11 centimeters. Image 3 size is 25 x 11 centimeters.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel

Font Paper Paper product Document Publication

Revolver Trigger Air gun Font Gun barrel

Font Circle History Motor vehicle Label
Revolver Trigger Air gun Font Gun barrel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hello,

thanks for all informations and datashhet.
so a last question ;)
after shooting the ejection rod seems to be stuck and i need to use moreforce to eject the cases.

chambers are clean... maybe the firing pin is too strong ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
hello,

thanks for all informations and datashhet.
so a last question ;)
after shooting the ejection rod seems to be stuck and i need to use moreforce to eject the cases.

chambers are clean... maybe the firing pin is too strong ?
Take the measure of fired cases.
Maybe you gun was be fired before with high velocity loads, that could let the chambers a bit wider.

·
Administrator
40,822 Posts
i'm a noob a now but if chambers are a bit wider, the cases should have a litle gap/clearance and go out easily right ?
Cases expand when fired to fill that gap, so sometimes a little pressure to extract is needed. Some rounds or calibers more than others. If it’s excessive though, you may have dirty chambers.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
FWIW it is very common for 22LR revolvers to have tight chambers and extraction problems.
It is true that the brass expands when fired, but it also "springs back" a tiny amount. If the chambers are tight to begin with the slight amount of permanent expansion (after they "spring back") is enough to cause difficult extraction.
The best solution for this issue is to ream the cylinders with a 22 caliber reamer. They can be purchased from the places that usually sell gunsmithing supplies and tools - like Midway and Naches. I don't know the name of the company but there is at least one that rents the reamers, or you can take it to a gunsmith and have it done for a pretty reasonable fee.
I've had a couple with this problem, and a good reaming of the cylinders cured the problem every time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts