Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to try out yet more .38 Special loads using Blackhorn 209 BP substitute. This time I used the manufacturers load data to make some 158gr LRN rounds.

They worked great!

they were much cleaner burning than the 125gr LFP rounds. There were fewer sparks and no unburned powder lying around. They were also a bit cleaner and my revolver was much easier to clean.

They also had a bit more authority as far as recoil goes, but were still mild compared to smokeless commercial 158gr loads. They were really accurate and fun to shoot too.

The only down-side was that after about 12 rounds some crud deposited on the cylinder face and locked up against the face of the forcing cone. However that was easily remedied and didn't give me any trouble for the rest of my box of 50 rounds. I think I may have left too much oil in the cylinder face. When I started shooting it caused a gummy deposit to form which created friction between the cylinder and forcing cone. (If anybody else has experienced something like this, please sound off.)

I've concluded that while it's certainly not an optimal propellant, Blackhorn 209, when used with the manufacturers loading data, can produce a serviceable 158gr round for target shooting or plinking.

I'm going to make some more :eek:)

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Blackhorn 209 is a good powder for muzzle loaders for sure and as you have shown, works as a handgun caliber load. I strongly recommend you clean your gun extremely well after each range trip, this stuff is a little corrosive if left for a period of time. Found out the hard way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blackhorn 209 is a good powder for muzzle loaders for sure and as you have shown, works as a handgun caliber load. I strongly recommend you clean your gun extremely well after each range trip, this stuff is a little corrosive if left for a period of time. Found out the hard way.

Thanks for the tip Dave; very sound advice. Went over that revolver with Mpro7 really well both times, then covered it in a film of the LPx Oil (bore too). I went back a couple days later and did it again and everything came out clean. Mpro7 seams to cut the crud really well.

I'm really glad I didn't let it sit around in my range bag for a couple days before cleaning it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts