Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got some cable tv after about 7 years. So watching discovery last night I came across. MOONSHINERS. Quite an intriguing show from someone that lives in the general area and who has partaken of some of Franklin Counties finest long ago. Im glad I don't drink any more because this would probably encourage me to seek some out.

My main question is how does Discovery absolve the liability that they are filming illegal activity, while at the same time film the ABC agents and law enforcement seeking out said criminal activity. Do they not tell the agents they have a crew filming the shiners and just let them find out when the show airs.

Btw, I think Tickle needs to stop tasting the product. That boy seemed hammered the entire time. Funniest quote was when Tim and his side kick Tickle were heading back in to the site at night. Tim said he was ready that he had his running shoes on. If there was a problem, the crew would know because you wont see him anymore.

Tim was wearing blue jean bibs with no shirt and it looked like black Nikes. Pretty funny show.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I've also wondered whether it might not be possible for some hotshot federal prosecutor to charge the Discovery Channel with aiding and abetting or with concealing knowledge of a crime.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it was that nasty, you didn't get the good stuff. The best I had was some peach flavored that was so smooth. It just gave you a warm fuzzy going down. Now I have also had some that was horrendous. I ha e seen some spilled on a table and it removed the finish. Needless to say I didn't try any.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually there is a disclamer at the begining of the show that states that no actual shine is being brewed by Tim and his boys. They are just depicting how a Moonshiner would go about setting up a still , and some of the ways they try to keep the ATF off of there tails. Pretty funny show , I just wonder how many good ole boys are taking note for their own operation !

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'd be interested to know how they get around the legal issues as well.

If you've ever heard of Templeton Rye, you can all be jealous of me. That stuff, the real stuff not the store bought stuff, is the smoothest, mellowest tasty alcoholic treat that has ever been consumed by me. It's cloak and dagger to get it, and you never say who ya got it from, or when or how much you paid, but dammit it's worth the trouble to know a guy who know's a guy who know's a guy!

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
Way back in my 20's someone brought some up from Georgia that was peach shine. The smoothest and knock your ***** in the dirt stuff I have ever tasted it was in a mason jar and was a old family recipe. I can see why its so popular. I think the way they get away with it filming that is, is like everyone that gets clearance to interview terrorist. Or the Cartels they are not breaking the law as news but reporting. It may fall under 1st rights.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
The sad part is that in a free country our government thinks that they own each persons work and anything they produce.

The same group that enforces tax laws against moonshiners enforce tax laws against gun owners.

Our founding fathers would cry.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Going back to your original questions - - - - - - they must be faking it somehow. I can't see how they could be "aiding and abetting" anything illegal, and at the same time be filming law enforcement on the other side. It doesn't make sense.

I for one do NOT believe all Reality shows are real. this could be one of them.

·
Registered
18,796 Posts
they were moonshiners themselves.
Yep...this country was founded by a bunch of guys that made moonshine, grew dope and carried guns.....and everything seemed to go just fine, until they made it all illegal. It kinda' makes ya' wonder where we went wrong.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
If it wasn't for Moonshine, we wouldn't have NASCAR!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I've tried it all and there are several stills in operation in the eastern counties where big city living
hasn't ruined the population. The peach and apple brandies are the only varities I would think about
drinking now. They are very sweet, with all of the sugar most makers use in their recipies it is easy
to see why moonshiners and their customers are portrayed with bad dental hygine. The 190 proof
is for sipping and medicinal purposes, I learned this the hard way a party when I was young and dumb.
I gulped half of a jar trying to show off and woke up the next morning in a bathtub full of water not
knowing how I got there. In the wills of several of my eighteenth and nineteenth ancestors, stills
were passed on to descendants as proud possessions. I wish the government give people with the
creativity and ingeniuity to make their own alcohol more leeway but we all know they need that
all mighty dollar to pay for those city slickers who are lazy and don't want to work for a living;)

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
When we were in Ireland several years ago, I told some Irish friends that we would be visiting Bushmills in Ulster, home of the world's oldest distillery. They quickly corrected me. "The world's oldest 'licensed' distillery", they said. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts