Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Monarch 9mm Luger 115 GR FMJ good ammo for a Taurus 24/7 Pro? ???

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've never heard of it. Any idea who's making and/or importing it?

Steelheart

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steelheart said:
I've never heard of it. Any idea who's making and/or importing it?
They sell it at Academy Stores. A box of 50 goes for $6.00.

The box states "Made in Serbia for Sell, Inc."

I've used it before for my Ruger P95 w/o any problems, but I just want to make sure it's kosher for the Taurus 24/7 Pro.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Unless it marked +P or something else to indicate that it has higher pressure than normal or than what SAMMI indicates you should be fine. It might be loaded to NATO specs which is hotter than normal but I wouldn't expect any issues. I'd try to find a velocity rating to be safe and compare it to both US made ammo and possibly Seller & Bellot (a Czech brand of ammo that tends to be loaded on the hot side). If there is a wide gap in velocities, maybe confine it to your P95 (which I think is rated for everything).

Steelheart

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've seen this brand around, usually very cheap, but have been apprehensive about tying it. I guess one box wouldn't hurt. I don't have a Taurus in 9mm, but my other 9's gobble up just about anything. With WWB now close to $15, I'll shoot the cheap stuff for practice if it feeds OK.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
I'll have to look for it next time I'm at Academy. Yeah, if it's not a +P, should be fine in any 9mm handgun. Try it for function and accuracy. I'd never rely on FMJ for defense, but until the WWB stuff at wallyworld started escalating in price, I shot a lot of it at the range. Worth 6 bucks just for the brass if it's not berdan primed. A lot of that Euro behind the iron curtain stuff is berdan primed and could be corrosive. Read the box and see if it says "non-corrosive" before you try it. It probably is non-corrosive if they're selling it at Academy, new production rather than mil surp.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NativeTexan said:
I'll have to look for it next time I'm at Academy. Yeah, if it's not a +P, should be fine in any 9mm handgun.
No. It's not a +P.

BTW. I do have +P ammo. Should I avoid using it in my Taurus?

Read the box and see if it says "non-corrosive" before you try it. It probably is non-corrosive if they're selling it at Academy, new production rather than mil surp.
Nope. Doesn't say if it's non-corrosive.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
You can shoot limited +P with no problem. I don't have a Taurus 9, but my Kel Tec is rated for limited use +P and that's what I do with it. I've only fired enough through it to varify reliability and accuracy, about 300 rounds in its lifetime. But, I carry +P.

It MIGHT be corrosive primed. If you can find some, get some military solvent to scrub the bore with. The stuff stinks to high heaven, but it's made to clean bores after firing corrosive ammo. If nothing else, scrub the heck out of it with Hoppes. I used to shoot a lot of 8x57 surplus ammo in my Mauser and my Hakim battle rifle. I always scrubbed it with military bore cleaner I got at an army/navy surplus store. It has kept those guns in good shape. I don't really like shooting that corrosive stuff, though, and would avoid that ammo if it is indeed corrosive. If it's corrosive, it's likely berdan primed and I wouldn't want the stuff anyway since you can't easily reload berdan brass. That's not a real consideration unless you reload, though.

I'm quite cautious about corrosivity in former eastern bloc surplus stuff. Not sure the vintage or origin of this cheap ammo. Just don't let the gun sit too long before thoroughly scrubbing the bore if you don't know if it's corrosive or not. Treat it like a black powder revolver and scrub the heck out of it. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
Aquila is Mexican made and I know for a fact non-corrosive. If it feeds and functions and you like the accuracy, it should be okay. I shoot mostly reloads, but occasionally buy a box of Winchester White Box at Wallyworld when I get lazy or just for the brass. I won a box of PMC 115 FMJ at the gun club the other night, though. ;D They always raffle something off that's donated, not bad for a dollar. LOL PMC is out of business I heard. Maybe it has collector value. ;D

·
Registered
790 Posts
PMC sold their US assets to a brass manufacturer in South Dakota, who will begin full ammo production now. PMC will still produce ammo outside the US, in China or Taiwan or Korea or someplace like that. I don't know if the PMC name will be retained.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used Monarch in my Mil Pro PT 111. It's horrible stuff. Very dirty. Big muzzle flash. I think it is Russian ammo. The worst part though is that it fouled up my gun so bad before long I was having FTEs (stovepiping) every second or third shot. Twice out of about 50 rounds the casing stayed completely in the chamber and it felt like the slide was stuck. I had to jerk it back hard to eject. In my opinion this ammo isn't even worth practicing on, unless what you want to practice is clearing FTEs and cleaning your weapon afterwards.

·
Administrator
40,095 Posts
I've shot quite a bit of Monarch in .45 acp. No problems. But if your looking for good inexpensive practice ammo, reloading is the answer. Now if you shoot only on occassion, keep buying the cheap stuff ,but if you shoot 300-500 rounds a week like I do, a good reloading press is an exellent investment. You'll like your homemade stuff better than store bought. It'll become a pride thing. :shooter:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Monach is good. I shot 50 rounds of the 9mm and the .45 the other day. It is on par with the Blazer stuff I also brought along.

I buy the Blazer more often because they have it at Wal-Mart and it is pretty cheap. The girlfriend drags me there about once a week, so I have plenty of chances to pick some up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since I see that you are in TX chap, I would also recommend Collins Cartridge Co.'s reloaded stuff if you are just interested in having something to blast.

I have put 1,000 rounds of their 9mm through my CZ without a problem. It is only $65 for 500 rounds. Got 500 rounds of .45 coming my way soon so I will let everyone know if it is any good or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts