Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the capacity of the magazines can be modified on the smaller calibers such as the .380 Auto and the .32 Auto. I live in a state where its legal to carry more than 10 rounds in the clip. I also noticed that there is lots of room in the bottom of the magazine. I was wondering if one was to clip a few coil off the mag spring if that would increase the loading capacity.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
By clipping coils you might increase your magazine capacity but you will reduce your upward spring pressure which could have a negative effect on your reliability.

I just checked and there are 12 rd 380 mags available for the Mil's & the Mil Pro's. But there isn't anything larger listed for the 32.

Personally, if I was going to carry something the size of a Mil Pro I'd rather have it in a service caliber vs a smaller round like 380 or 32. I'd rather leave them to the smaller single stacks like a Kel-tec etc.

Steelheart

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steelheart,

Where did you see the 12-rounder for the .32 Auto?

Yes, definately - we would love the large caliber, but some countries only give out carry permit for .32 Auto to civilians. I guess they do not want overpenetration or hitting something that is not the intended target.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Steelheart said:
I just checked and there are 12 rd 380 mags available for the Mil's & the Mil Pro's. But there isn't anything larger listed for the 32.
Steelheart
I spotted the 12 rd mags for the 380 but only 10 rd mags for the 32.
http://www.taurususa.com/products/magazines.cfm

That is a good point about the caliber limitations in some countries. We have a tendency to forget that here in the U.S. I still don't think I would clip any coils.

However, there was some discussion a while back I think about compatibility of magazines between the 24/7's and the Mil-Pros. Dig around in the early threads in both sections to see what was discussed as I don't recall.

IF someone were to attempt this I'd watch very closely the angles and dimensions of the feed lips for the higher cap mag. And I'd try to make a follower work from the correct magazine, but use the spring from the high cap. I'd recommend many trips to the range to insure that the modified mag would work. In 380, I'd look into a 9mm mag but remember that there is a difference in cartridge length that might cause issues. In 32, I'd just don't know off hand but the 9mm mag might be closest in dimensions. I'd recommend having a calipers for the measurements for the magazines. Also, you should measure the magazine well dimensions before spending any money for stuff for a strange idea like this to check that said higher cap mags would even fit in the first place.

My only other advice would be to practice, practice and more practice until you can make your hits where you want at speed. I'm also guessing that you are limited to ball or FMJ ammo (no hollow points or other expanding rounds)?

Steelheart

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steelheart,

Very good pointers. I did took apart a .32 mag and look at it and there was not enought to even compressed more than 10 rounds into it. The space is just not there. I think you brought up some very good points and I might get a 9mm mag and a .32 follower and experiment to see if it works. Of course, I will not carry this as a defense mag, I will only use it for playing around.

FYI: yes, we are allowed the JHP........The Federal Hydrashok and Corbon feed well through. I put about 300 federal and 200 corbon through it. Federal is more accurate for me. Put it like this........I NEVER had a jam so far in about 800 rounds (knock on woods).

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Another option for the range is to buy 4 or 5 more mags and load them all up and shoot away, load up again and shoot them all again. I know people who have guns that dont have large capacity mags avaliable and thats what they do

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far, I was thinking about taking a .32 mag and cut off the top part of the mag housing and take a 9mm mag and do the same. Then use the top half of the .32 mag to get the correct lip measurements and the bottom of the 9mm mag and have it solder/weld back together with the .32 follower. The modification is not a problem as I have a friend that owns a machine shop and can do all the small details.

Can anyone shed some insight on the 9mm mag?

Tough question: How come the 9mm mag can hold 12 rounds considering the 9mm rounds are much larger than a .32 round and the .32 mag can only hold 10? I wonder why taurus did not make say a 15 round mag for the .32 caliber.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Also I believe the 32 is the largest caliber they can have in Brazil and that might be the largest market for those Taurus guns, also they might be limited to 10 rounds in 32 aswell, The rim lock is another good question as to why

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
MPanova said:
Also I believe the 32 is the largest caliber they can have in Brazil and that might be the largest market for those Taurus guns, also they might be limited to 10 rounds in 32 aswell, The rim lock is another good question as to why
.380 ACP is the largest caliber offered to civilians in Central and South America. I learned this while training with Police Officers from Rio De Janeiro in 2003.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NYPD in AZ said:
.380 ACP is the largest caliber offered to civilians in Central and South America. I learned this while training with Police Officers from Rio De Janeiro in 2003.
Any caliber is offered........you would have to apply for an upgrade. Rifles are a different story even though most carry the full-auto AK-47 :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
kashdaddy said:
Any caliber is offered........you would have to apply for an upgrade. Rifles are a different story even though most carry the full-auto AK-47 :)
Yes, you would have to petition to carry a larger caliber as a civilian. But just like getting a carry permit in New York City---chances are slim. Most Brazilians who carry just go with the 380 or 32 ACP.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NYPD in AZ said:
Yes, you would have to petition to carry a larger caliber as a civilian. But just like getting a carry permit in New York City---chances are slim. Most Brazilians who carry just go with the 380 or 32 ACP.
Well, not really petition..........regular civilian first qualify for a .32 or .380. After they get this then they fill out the application, get the background check, etc. and submit everything and get an approval letter and buy. Its no different than applying for a CCW permit in the US. It can take two months to one year depending on who you know or how much of a bribe you pay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts