Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find my other thread about the "T" sight, so here I go.
I bought some flat black and gloss white acrylic paint and some artists brushes.
I'm filing down the face of the sights and covering up the red dots.
Flat black the face and then the white lines, and clearcoat.
SN850341.JPG
Hopefully have it finished today and try them out tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
When I removed the Heinie's from my PT145 I spent some time fiddling with them. I heated them up to get the white plastic inserts out, and then inserted a bead from a key chain into each of the straight eights from the bottom (being careful to keep the little holes in the beads concealed). The beads fit perfect, and actually kind of clicked into place. The beads are just a touch bigger than the hole, so there's no way they're ever coming out. If I ever decide to use them again, that is. If I do I'll never have to worry about solvents washing the dots off. :D Here's a couple pics...

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'm not the greatest artist, so even with fine tip brushes it's a bit sloppy, but should work OK.
Camera just will not focus on the front site.
SN850345.JPG
Too late to try today, people home from work and school.
Tomorrow nicer day anyway, mostly sunny, 78.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I like the pattern - should be great for consistent sight alignment. Did you mask the sights before you painted, or did you just try to free hand it?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Freehand with a fine point wedge brush.
I'll try touching it up after I try them out, try to sharpen the lines.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeehah!!!!
I knew it would work better than stock sights!
I did take a fine pointed brush and did some touch up on the paint job.
OK, some fliers, but it's my fault for not having the best bench rest in the world.
SN850358.JPG

10 rounds at 25 yards, 124gr. XTP, 5.8gr. HS-6.

SN850357.JPG

Almost as good as I did before with the stick-on paper sights.

NewSightTest-cropped.jpg

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now if I could only find a gunsmith willing to make a precision set from stock 24/7 sights.......
I bet this sight pattern will work on other pistols as well, not to sure about revolvers, no experience with those.
I'm going to make up the drawings with dimensions, etc.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's not too bad of a job considering how hard it is to paint smootly with a small brush. I've found while detailing small items on my '66 Thunderbird that a pointed tip paint marker from a hobby store works great.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was always having trouble with the left/right aiming with the dots, trying to hold on target and make sure the gap on either side of the front sight was equal.
No guessing now, just line up the vertical lines and the horizontal lines, and it is dead on target.
I have a slightly better pic of the sights now.
SN850361.JPG

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I was always having trouble with the left/right aiming with the dots.
I agree - the straight 8's don't impress me at all. Funny thing is Kahr uses almost the same thing, except they've got a bar on the rear and a dot on the front. For some reason that's really easy to align. Well, it was before I replaced them with three dot tritium. I just can't leave anything alone. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts