Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use CenturyLink for my DSL subscription, and have an ActionTec PK5000 modem/router to supply the WiFi signal for my house. I've had it for over two years with few problems, rebooting it once every couple of months or so when the WiFi would get wonky with my smartphone.

This past month my smartphone would lose the WiFi connection and revert to using Verizon for internet access; this happened about six or seven times. When I tried to get the smartphone to reconnect it would report that it couldn't get a proper IP address. My laptop used WiFi for internet access also, when I checked it, it said the signal was restricted. Cold rebooting the modem worked for a couple of hours, then it dropped WiFi again. (Note: Ethernet cable access to the internet from my desktop is never affected.)

I accessed the configuration website page for my ActionTec and used the wireless setup tab to check the wireless settings. I didn't change any of them, but clicked on the "Apply" button at the bottom of the page. My WiFi access came back immediately and has been stable for about two hours.

My concern is whether that will take care of the problem, or is my modem/router at the end of its designed life. Or, is there anything else I might try? Modem software updates are current, by the way.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I used to have Centrylink DSL , but got it when it was still Embarq>

My modem would lock up at least once a month but sometimes 2 or 3 times a month.

Simply powering down or unplugging would fix it.

Then went to my cable company and their lowest band speed was 5 times highet than Cenrtylink's fastest for a few dollars less a month.

But, I had the two to choose from.

Got to the point that I knew the phone extension numbers to bypass and go to the tech support for regular tech support.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Sounds like your router. They do generate a bit of heat and can go bad after a while. Replace the one you have with the best one you can afford. Those last longer.

·
Registered
27,319 Posts
Yeah, routers seem to be a maintenance item. There are a couple of things to try first, though.

Next time it happens, reboot the phone instead of the router. If other devices aren't losing the connection, it may not be the router.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
My router started getting flaky about a week before it quit.
I bought a new one but didn't like the built in software.

So I popped the old one apart a replaced the electrolytic cap next the power input jack. (OK I had a meter to test it)
The cap smooths ripple coming in from the power cube. As it gets old it loses that ability. Once the ripple gets too bad the micro can't tell the difference between a 1 and a power spike.
Get your replacement cap before Radio Shack goes belly up.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I completely bypass my AT&T modem's Wi-Fi and router functions and instead use an old computer as the router and an old linksys Wi-Fi router for my Wi-Fi access point.
Do you rent your modern/router/Wi-Fi access point from century Link? If you do, just call them up and tell them that it's on the fritz and needs to be replaced.
Tell them you have power cycled it, checked the configuration and did a hard reset and reconfigured it. Those things should get you past the normal tech support junk pretty quick.

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, routers seem to be a maintenance item. There are a couple of things to try first, though.

Next time it happens, reboot the phone instead of the router. If other devices aren't losing the connection, it may not be the router.
I already did the phone reboot, three times. It never worked. Then I would reboot the modem and the Wi-Fi connection reestablished each time. The intervals between disconnects grew shorter each time, though.

·
Registered
27,319 Posts
Next try manually changing the channel the router is using.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Wifi burns out on those Actiontec routers first for some reason. I would get a new wireless router, disable wireless on the original router, and that should take care of the majority of dropped signals.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
What the hell kind of language are you people speaking.
The wireless thingy is on the fritz and needs to be replaced. All the tech support suggestions dont work.

Disable the internal wireless on the century link and pick up a wireless N-300 and configure it yourself as a WAP. connect it to one of the wired LAN ports on the century link router.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
In my case, the modem was the issue. It's was cheap chunk of junk. I used my own router and never had issues with it that weren't related to the modem.

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sunday morning, Dec. 28 update: My Wi-Fi didn't drop out last night, my Galaxy S3 is still connected. First time in almost a week. We'll see.

·
Registered
24,597 Posts
Being a non techie, I have no idea what you all are talking about.

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Being a non techie, I have no idea what you all are talking about.
You're a non-techie, kruizer, but if you are, perchance, a Trekkie, may I present the following scenario to help you understand:

Geordi: Data, come here and take a closer look at these readings: I think there's something wrong with the modem.

Data: The modem appears to be functioning normally Geordi. Perhaps you were referring to the communication improbability generator, also known in colloquial terms as a "Wi-Fi", right here, beside this ionizing bio operation. If we use the bipolar control bay to align it with the shuttlecraft reaction panel, then...

Geordi: Yes, of course! Then by modifying this aft transient replicator, we can make it work in conjunction with the infinite integrity operation. That would...

Data: I believe that this will increase the efficiency of the Wi-Fi integrity signal by 29 percent. Thus reducing the load on the phased power display.

Geordi: Data -- you're a genius!

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
18,794 Posts
"I'll check out this thread", I said......."it might be interesting and informative", I said......."it surely won't drift off into one of those damned White Castle or Star Trek threads", I said..............
marty-pet-rat-mouse-adventures-43__880.jpg
.........#^@%!!!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Janeway_meme.png

OK I couldn't help it.
But seriously, if you keep having problems post back! I do this junk for a living so I'm happy to try and help. I do think your modem/wifi/router will die again at some point. When it gets repetitive like this it doesn't usually fix itself.

Do you rent your modem from Century Link? I am assuming it's an all in one box as well, correct? If it's all in one, then there's three components inside the one box - modem, router, and wifi access point.

If you lose your wireless access point, then there's something up with the wifi component. If that's the case, then just getting a new wireless router as suggested by a few people and setting it up as an access point will fix your issue for a good while.

If you keep your wifi signal, but don't get an IP (i think you mentioned that in an earlier reply) then there's something wrong with the router component. If that's the case, getting a new wireless router and setting it up as an access point *wont* fix your issue. Then you would need to configure the century link equipment to forward all traffic to a new router and have it take over that part of the job as well as the wireless access point. This is how mine is setup, although it's a bit more advanced than simple plug and play.

At any rate, if you rent the modem from Century Link, I think your best bet is to request a new one. That is after all why you rent it, because it's not yours to fix -- it's theirs to fix.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts