Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a second hand Model 96 Professional in .22lr.

I bought it to compliment the Colt Python I have....the weight and the size are practically identical so I am looking forward to lot's of cheap practise with the 96 to help me shoot the Python better......well, that's how I justified it's purchase to the wife....actually it is a beautiful gun and it looks like a lot of fun to shoot!

The fit and finish is perfect and it's lock up is only just behind the Pythons......I guess it has hardly been used so one man's loss is my gain......and at a fabulous price!

Please can anybody tell me when my gun was made, the serial number is PE 398xxx and can anybody tell me about the history of the Model 96 Professional?......I have looked on the web but cannot find any details of the models history, many thanks in anticipation.

Safe shooting

Limey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
.....sorry.....this was meant to be in the revolver forum.......can somebody far better at computers shift it over there for me please?

Limey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you to who ever moved my e-mail into the correct Forum.

Please, is there anybody in the Taurus Forum who can help me date my Model 96 Professional in .22lr?.........it's serial number is PE 398xxx.

Is there anybody in the Forum who is nominated as a Taurus gun 'dating' expert/Taurus historian?.......maybe this is a formal Forum role that's needed......... is there a another website anybody can share with me where I can visit to discover or research this information for myself?

From the pictures I found it looks to me like the Model 96 only had a half length under barrel lug whereas the Model 96 Professional has a full length under barrel lug....is this correct or just a variation during production of the Model 96 range?

I have looked at old gun mags I have and I found references for the Model 96 back in 1990 but I have failed to find anything more recent.....I would like to find out more about the history of this model........it sure is a lot of quality gun for not a lot of money......I can certainly feel more Taurus's being bought in the future!.....just don't tell my wife of my plans!

Safe shooting

Limey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Qwiksdraw,

Thank you for the phone number to the Taurus Customer Servive Department in the States.........I called them today....a guy called Rob tried his best to help me........the music while I was on hold was entertaining.......however in the end he was unable to find the serial number of my gun on his system!.....(worrying!)........he has advised me to call the factory in Brazil direct to see if they can help me........I think I will try e-mailing them first as my Spanish is zero!

Safe shooting

Limey

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Your lack of Spanish shouldn't be a problem, your (likely) lack of Portuguese could matter more! ;D
Really though, if Rob gave you the number I'd hope that its to an English speaking phone line. If its not, I'd call back to US CS (is all the initials confusing yet?) and ask for an extension that would let you get an English speaker down there.

Steelheart

Reactions: Wino

·
32,613 Posts
Nome:
Email:
Mensagem:

Forjas Taurus S.A.

Endereço: Av. do Forte, 511
PORTO ALEGRE - RS/Brasil
CEP: 91360-000
Fone/Fax: (51) 30213000

Nome:
Email:
Mensagem:

Forjas Taurus S.A.

Endereço: Av. do Forte, 511
PORTO ALEGRE - RS/Brasil
CEP: 91360-000
Fone/Fax: (51) 30213000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_(manufacturer)

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see the Official Site( In Portuguese). That's the Taurus home site in Brazil. There's e-mail.
One addition. If you get "We do not have an article with this exact name" moniker, then click on "Search for Taurus(manufacturer in articles."

Then scroll down to the bottom of the page and the Official Site tab will be there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.....does anybody else in the world own a Taurus revolver Model 96 'Professional' in .22lr calibre?.....have I got the only one?..............it has a full underbarrel lug and very fancy hard wood target grips with a carved in thumb rest....I have seen old pictures of a Model 96 and that only had a half barrel under lug and standard grips.

I have been trying for a month to find out when my gun was made......so far 3 e-mails to the factory in Brazil ( no reply or acknowledgement)....... but so far no luck from anybody......and before anybody says 'call the CS Department in Miami'......they only keep records of US imported firearms and this one was shipped into France.....both Rob and Richard at the CS Dept. have been helpful but unable to shed any info on the D.O.B. of my gun.

Safe shooting

Limey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Limey, did you ever get anywhere with this?! I have almost the same, 96 pro 22lr 6" barrel full underlug serial number same as yours up til last 3 digits. Curious to know the age as this one is mint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you to who ever moved my e-mail into the correct Forum.

Please, is there anybody in the Taurus Forum who can help me date my Model 96 Professional in .22lr?.........it's serial number is PE 398xxx.

Is there anybody in the Forum who is nominated as a Taurus gun 'dating' expert/Taurus historian?.......maybe this is a formal Forum role that's needed......... is there a another website anybody can share with me where I can visit to discover or research this information for myself?

From the pictures I found it looks to me like the Model 96 only had a half length under barrel lug whereas the Model 96 Professional has a full length under barrel lug....is this correct or just a variation during production of the Model 96 range?

I have looked at old gun mags I have and I found references for the Model 96 back in 1990 but I have failed to find anything more recent.....I would like to find out more about the history of this model........it sure is a lot of quality gun for not a lot of money......I can certainly feel more Taurus's being bought in the future!.....just don't tell my wife of my plans!

Safe shooting

Limey

From may, 1981 Taurus began the alphanumeric numbering system.

1st character: A to Z (1981 to 2006, repeating 2007 on)
2nd character: A to L (jan-dec, 1981 to 2006,)
M, N, O, P, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y (jan-dec, 2007 to 2009,)
M, N, O, P, R, S, T, U, W, X, Y, Z (jan-dec 2010 on.)

Remaining digits, re-starting monthy.

Small frame, 5 digits.
Medium, large, extra-large frame and single action models, 6 digits.

In all of them:

1st digit 9 and above for rimfire.
5 and above for .32.
1-4 for .38 and larger.

So your "PE" marked gun was made in May, 1996.

There are some qwirks in the numbering system on some special short run production series, but that is not the case for the 96.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I've never seen nor heard of that model. Not sure it was imported to the U.S. It's a 96 with a full underlug. I'd love one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts