Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a model 94, 4" in stainless 3 weeks ago.
It had serious double action pull problems.
I followed some of the advice in here, polished the inside works and replaced the trigger return & hammer springs with some from Wolf.
What a difference!
I took it to the range today for the first time.
It shot sweet, but the POI was about 4" to the left at 20 feet.
I adjusted the rear sight but it looks bad, POI 2" left with it all the way to the right.
I took a close look and it appears the barrel is not in place properly.
I think it needs to be rotated about 5 degrees for proper alingment.
Not sure if I will pay a gunsmith or send back to Taurus.
I'de hate to send it off, minus the new springs, and get one that needs more work.
Any advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would check with local gunsmiths regarding cost. If it's just turning the barrel it could be just a 5 min job. I recently sent a gun back to the factory and the cost was almost $40.

If the barrel needs to be removed and some machining done then to the factory it is.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Taurus will pay shipping to return a gun for the first year! You may have to cajole CS to remind them though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Taurus C/S today about returning my revolver for repair.
They are sending FEDEX to my house on Monday to pick it up at no cost to me.
AWSOME!
I put the original springs back in in case they have to replace it.
Not sure how long this will take but I am impressed with their actions thus far.
I'll let you know how this goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I received my revolver back from Taurus last week.
Not all good news.
They adjusted the sight for shooting low but not for the problem it was returned, shooting LEFT.
I called and spoke with CS and they sent Fedex back to pick it up again for repairs.
I'm still hopefull they will fix the problem or replace it.
At lease shipping is not costing me, I'm just not able to use my new revolver. :'(
I'll let you all know what happens next.
I'm still a Taurus fan and look forward to some range time soon. :)

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
The Mod 94 is getting a very bad reputation and may well be deserved. I own 2 of them that I use for our CCH and NRA Classes. I bought them because of they are just the right size of a 22 for a begining shooter. Both guns have had trigger smoothed and springs replaced and one of them would not fire 4 or 5 of the 9 chambers because the firing pin struck so high on the cartridge that it would ride over and stick on the cartridge head tying up the action. I had to modify the firing pin to make it shoot. Two of our local gunshops will not carry them anymore because of the problems. I wish Taurus could get their QC up to speed before they damage their reputation any more than it is now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received my pistol back from Taurus and they adjusted the front sight.
I reinstalled the Wolf springs for my trip to the range.
Shoots great, I just don’t like the rear sight.
Brought it home and used a file to open up the rear notch a bit and clean up the uneven blade base.
I'll take it back to the range this Sunday.
I'm still looking for a scope mount because I'de love to install a holographic sight like the one on my Browning Buckmark.
So far no joy with B-Square, they used to make one but discontinued the Taurus small frame model.
I bought one for a Smith, but it will take a lot of work to custom fit.
I ordered one from Jack Weigand for a Tracker to see if it can be customized a bit easier.
Wish me luck.
If anyone has any suggestions or knows of a scope mount for a Taurus small frame PLEASE let me know.

;)Thanks......KentB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back from the range and still need a bit of work for the sight picture....my old eyes sure wish i could fins a scope mount.
I painted the front sight ramp black to reduce glare and now i can see the orange insert better.
Any help on the scope mount would sure be appreciated.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Which spring did you use from Wolf? On RFC every 94 trigger job thread states that any lighter hammer spring and you will get light strikes. I ended up using there springs for the model 85.

" (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR 94/941)
Please Note: Due to changes in newer revolvers, Wolff trigger springs may require some modification."

You can use the slightly lighter trigger return spring(9lb) but the lightest one(6.5lb) doesn't reset the trigger every time and both need a couple coils cut off or they stack up never letting the hammer all the way back and release. It's been a year but maybe they have come out with something more suitable for the m94 .

I think I will try the reduced hammer spring after all . Mine gets pretty good primer strikes unlike allot of M-94 i read about. I will also polish the internals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been a bit since my last post.
I had a local gunsmith modify a Weigand scope mount for my 4" 94.
I placed a Sight Mark holographic sight on the mount.
WOW this gun is really accurate with this setup.
1 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards!
Not bad for a 4" 22 that cost under $350.00
OK, I did some work on the action, but it sure is sweet.
I'm glad a stuck with it because now it comes to the range every week.
Happy holidays and good shooting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts