Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used to read posts from old site and finally thought I would sign up on this new site.

I have several Taurus handguns. One I like to carry and shoot is my #905 in 9mm. Just wondering if there is any other members here that have one and shoot regular basis.

I like the idea of having one caliper that I feel comfortable with and that I can carry in several different guns for fun and carry. I also have a Taurus PT 92 and a model #66 in 357mag.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
That is one of the guns I'd like to find. That way I have a snubbie that uses the same ammo as our primary pistols. But I will admit that my first choice was that Triad snubbie that was shown then disappeared in 2005 I think.

Steelheart

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a 905. It shoots o.k. but I don't carry it much. I haven't found a good way to carry the reloads. I also like to carry Two Snubs. I rather have Two that can shoot the same ammo. Lately I have been carrying my 605 and an SP101. Same ammo same Speedloader. or I will carry a 38spl. to back up the 357 and carry 38 ammo for reloads.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I probably wouldn't carry a reload for the 905, I'd just change to a different gun. That is a common problem I've heard with the pistol cartridge revolvers, how to carry the loaded moon clip without trashing them. The 905 would be the pocket gun with something else on my hip. I do carry a reload for the hip gun.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
I had a 1917 Smith (.45ACP revolver) and the moon clips for that thing were really sturdy. I've heard the Taurus 9mm moon clips were junky, flimsy. I know that you can fit two moon clips in a single speedloader case on a belt, pretty cool. With a double speed loader case, you can fit 4 reloads with moon clips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I usually don't carry any extra reloads when I carry the wheel gun. (if I ever need it I would hope 5 would be enough)
If I do they are usually kept in the case I carry in the vehicles just in case I have to lock them up if I go into a no-carry area.
The stellar clips seem to be sturdy enough. I have a friend that will throw them in his pocket, but I don't do it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I took Native Texan's addvice. I'm going to put Two Moon Clips on one side of the Speedloader Case and a 357 Speedloader on the other side. Two Speedstrips of 357 will go in my pocket. Now I can carry the 605 IWB and the 905 in the left front pocket.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I still have my 905 but not for much longer. Mine was a real disappointment! And, unfortunately, my problems were the same problems others have with this model:
1.) Failures to fire.
2.) cylinder binding.
I contribute both problems to the poor moon clip design. They are, as NativeTexan said, flimsy and the "springiness" of them seems to hold the rounds off of the clylinder face enough to create problems....

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had a problem with the Clips not holdding ammo. After a little tweek they are fine. The gun shoots fine but I had to put Locktight on the barrel because it come loose. After that no problems. I wood send it back .

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
If I sent it back, they would probably just replace the clips. And, as I believe they are not faulty - just poorly designed, they would replace them with another set of poorly designed clips. If someone made a good set of aftermarket clips, I might think about keeping it as it is a very good shooter when it works.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I complained about the clips not holding my ammo. They sent me a free bag of clips. After I got the clips I read in a forum about the tweek job. Now I have lots of clips for reloads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 905 Taurus and have owned and carried 9mm revolvers for more than 25 years. Since the Taurus 905 was closest to my S&W 940, I tried a trick I learned with that S&W 9mm revolver.

Take two loaded moon clips......there is a standard size pill bottle (prescription) that will allow a loaded moon clip to JUST slip inside. Most pill bottles will accept two clips....if the loads are HP or soft nose then put them in points first.. BUT....BUT....if they are FMJ then be safe and put the clips inside so the primers are back to back and we don't have any FMJ points testing on sensitive primers!! No possible BOOM, OK?

Put the cap in place and now you can safely carry two full moon clips with very little chance of damaging the clips themselves. If te clips rattle, maybe add some cotton balls or a bit of foam at the lower end. Now you're set. :D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
TitaniumMan said:
I still have my 905 but not for much longer. Mine was a real disappointment! And, unfortunately, my problems were the same problems others have with this model:
1.) Failures to fire.
2.) cylinder binding.
I contribute both problems to the poor moon clip design. They are, as NativeTexan said, flimsy and the "springiness" of them seems to hold the rounds off of the clylinder face enough to create problems....
Out of curiosity, have you ever fired it w/out the stellar clips?

EDIT - Never mind, I see the original post was from '07. :zzz:

EDIT II - Lazarus you should limit thread resurrections to 4 days. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quoted "Out of curiosity, have you ever fired it w/out the stellar clips?"

Yes, I have. Extraction is a bit weird......I mean 2-3 cases will just fall out. My fingernails will suffice for another one. And one or two chambers hold on to the cases well enough to need
a cleaning rod/pencil or knife blade to remove them.

I'm not one of those people who have a problem using moon clips. A spare pair of loaded moon clips carried safely in a pill bottle does well for me...... especially learning I can substiture the quite-available Ruger SP-101 clip (to me) for the expensive Taurus one. I would never carry or shoot this revolver without moon clips unless it was extreme circumstances.

I have actually had more luck substituting Ruger SP-101 clips or S&W 940 clips for the Taurus Stellar clips. I have to thin these clips on a stone, but only 2-4 thousanths it seems. I bought several hundred of the Ruger clips back in the early 90s and these with the 60 or so Smith & Wesson 940 clips are sufficient to my needs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A 905 is high on my list of guns to get. Although, I do go back and forth between getting one and waiting for the Charter rimless revolver...

Anyone know if speed strips will hold 9mm ammo?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts