Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Model 90 6 shot and according to Taurus website it was made in 1986. I don't think it has ever been shot or if it has very little. Does anyone have any info on this revolver? I have checked Taurus web site and no reference to it at all and a goggle search came up with nothing. It looks very similar to a Model 83 in .38 Spl. I need a new rear sight blade, the original one has been lost and I need a replacement. I looked on Numrich Gun parts and they have a schematic of a Model 90 but the rear sight looks different than the one I have so I am not sure if this one has been changed or if it is the original one at all. To me it looks more like a S&W rear sight. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I would suggest calling Customer Service and asking about it. Its covered under the Lifetime Warranty so you might as well use it. I know it might be annoying to have just gotten a new (to you) gun and have to possibly ship if off for several weeks but then you know that the parts are in right. Or they might just ship you one out, but you won't know unless you call.

Option B is to contact our local Taurus Service Rep, Richard, who seems to keep an eye on the thread he started in the Into area. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2368.0

Oh, and welcome to the group!

Steelheart

·
32,481 Posts
Is that model number right? After going through the data data base no model 90 comes up.Neither in periodicals nor in used gun nomenclature guides. Am aware of all the models introduced or had in the 1980s. That one doesn't come up in print. :)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Well, if the model number isn't right, what was the model number for a small to medium framed, 6 shot, 22LR revolver with a 4" tube?

We've had other reports of strange model numbers on more recent guns (615...)?

Oh I should have added to my above post. When/If you call in, it will make things easier if you have the gun right there. CS will likely ask you some questions (numbers on it in various places etc) and you'll save everyone time if you can just look right there and tell them. Might not hurt to have a screwdriver the right size to pull the grips if need be as well.

Steelheart

·
32,481 Posts
The 615 was a digit mistake. Otherwise everything came out okay on that one. :) Even looked up the Taurus overseas models available( some models there are not avaible here) and no such animal showed up.Not even in the gun values books. :)

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I just checked a couple of old "wish" books. In the 1988 issue of Sportsmans Gun Annual (Harris Publications) they list a model 96. Quote: "Caliber:22lr. Barrel: 6". Weight 34 oz. Stocks: Walnut, target checkered. Sights: Micro click adjustable rear. Partidge-style front. Features: Blue only, six-shot. Price $252.92."
I have one older cataog from 1984 (Guns & Ammo, Peterson Pubs.), but the only Taurus revolvers listed are the models 73 (32S&W long) and the model 85 (.38 spl). It mentions that there are "Larger frame Taurus revolvers available in .22 lr, .38 spl., and .357 Magnum". It gives no futher details.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The original box has the same serial number as the revolver and it says Model 90 on it. I phoned the widow that I bought it off of and she said I could look in her late husbands filing cabinet if I wanted, that is where he kept all his owners manuals and receipts for everything he bought. I found the original bill of sale and low and behold I find a Taurus Owners manual with the complete parts break down on the back cover. The rear sight comes as a complete unit and is listed as Rear Sight 31-27010. I don't think this revolver has ever been fired, there is a slight drag mark on the cylinder if you hold it up to the light and look at it just right. It kind of feels like my K frame S&W nice and heavy. I will phone Taurus in the morning and see if I can get a replacement sight for it. I live in Canada so shipping the revolver to Taurus is worth more than the revolver is worth. We have goofy laws up here and since it is a 4" barrel it is prohibited unless you have a special license which I have so shipping to the states might be OK but having it shipped back would be a huge hastle when it gets to the border and it might not make it if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Wow! What luck. The bill of sale, manual, and original box. I love it when people save all that stuff.
And to top it all off, the gun is pristine.
So, just out of couriosity, hold old is the gun? Also, Taurus can tell when it was actually made.
Again, what great luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Miami today and the response I got word for word was "What the hell is a model 90?" I explained I was calling from Canada and as soon as I said Canada he said that alot of earlier products came straight from Brazil and never were imported to the US. I am looking for the rear sight that is missing the blade and he said he couldn't help and gave me the number to a R. Nickels 1-888-442-9215. I phoned them and they have the part 31-27010 but of course I can't order it because I am not an authorized dealer. They gave me two numbers in my home town and of course they both laughed at me about getting Taurus parts and they wouldn't order them for me. So I am kind of at my wits end, spent 3 hours on the phone so far and nothing. Is there a dealer in the US some where that has Taurus parts? I looked on Numrich website and they have a Model 90 listed but the rear sight looks slightly different and they just have a stock schematic for all there revolvers. I might have to modify a smith and wesson sight to fit on here if I can't find anything.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I don't know if it'll help but if you can manage some nice close-up pictures of the sight maybe someone here will be able to help you. If you have a calipers available that might come in handy to get exact measurements on various parts of the sight.

Steelheart

·
32,481 Posts
Empresa: TaurusWotan
Taurus Blindagens
Taurus Capacetes
Taurus Armas
Taurus Forjados
Taurusplast
TIMI
Famastil Taurus
SELECIONE A EMPRESA

Nome:
Email:
Mensagem:

Forjas Taurus S.A.

Endereço: Av. do Forte, 511
PORTO ALEGRE - RS/Brasil
CEP: 91360-000
Fone/Fax: (51) 30213000

This the Taurus Brazil web site. Here's the address. Comes with e-mail, but of course is in Portuguese. However English has to be known. A message in English could be sent with the request.Or a letter sent to the address above and see what happens.All this wuld take awhile. Got all this off Wikipedia of all places.

Our inhouse Taurus factory rep, Richard from Taurus could probably be of more help. He might have inroads that are not apparent to others.

He's holding court in the Member Intorduction area.
Since the 90 is built on about the same frame as the 83 sights for them may work. Getting measurements for the screws or other needed parts could be done by you or a gunsmith.

Numerich Customer Service may be able to cross reference the 90 sight measurements and an 83's.

Model 96 sights may work as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I made a little drawing and took some measurements. I also cross referenced Numrich website and they say that the Model 90 rear sight 721320B is the same one as these models 83,83S,86,87,88,889,90,96 so if anyone has one of these models let me know if it is the same. Might be kind of hard to see but the width of the body of the sight is 0.270", the width of the housing on the rear part of the sight is 0.630" and the distance from the pivot hole to the back of the frame is 0.870" . This would be great if someone could verify this for me. Seems hard to believe that a manufacturer would use a different sight for just one model for international sales only.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't had anyone post back yet as to whether the sight for a model 83,83S,86,87,88,889,90,96 is the same as the one that I have pictured. I just want to make sure before I order it from the US. Thanks

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The only adjustable sight Taurus I have right now is a M94 that I suspect is too small to help you. And I haven't had time to dig it out of the safe and find my caliper to take some measurements for you.

Steelheart

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I received the sight today from Numrich and it is indeed the same as the model 83. The outside dimensions are exact, the guts to the adjust sight itself are a bit different but I just replaced the whole sight and problem solved. Thanks for all the help guys. In the future if I need a part I talked to my cousin that lives in Nevada and he will order me the parts if I need them and then send them up to me. Seems really stupid but I guess until Taurus has some kind of an authorized dealer in Canada it will have to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts