Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those more familiar with the Taurus revlover line than I, my question is regarding these two model guns and physical sizes. I've seen where the MIC "holster" (trigger-cover) is now made for the Taurus T85. It is also made for a S&W revolver. I have a 605 and might be interested in a MIC (I have one for my Glocks) for the 605 ... if it would fit! If it fits the 85 (and the S&W) I'd wonder if it would work on the 605 series. Anybody got an answer? Do you know or are you making an educated guess? I think it would be a good thing to have for limited situations. Thanks for any input before I contact MIC to see what they say.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
#yes.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
605 and 85 ...are the same size...( Both "J" frame size) but the the 85 can be had in a Ultra Light model...and the 605 can not...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was quick! Thanks guys. I kinda figured they'd be about the same, the 85 being hammerless not affecting the trigger guard GLOCKTECH - THE MIC HOLSTER - Home of the Original MIC Holster since 1997 (scroll down) where the MIC would attach. Just curious, what's different, besides the hammer, with these two revolvers, anything else? It seems to me that Taurus has a LOT of different model guns that are, basically, the same one with a different number and one small change here and there. Seems unnecessary, IMO. I wonder why...?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Main difference is the 85's come in .38 Spcl +P and the 605's are all .357.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I believe the owners manual says they are rated for +P but most folks run +P sparingly.

My M85 is .38SPL only. I believe all the M85s are .38SPL.

The M605s are .357/.38. I have not put .357s through the M605. I'm not really into the recoil punishment that I imagine would result. One of these days I'll get brave and try at least one.

The super nice thing about these is thier reliability.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the owners manual says they are rated for +P but most folks run +P sparingly.

My M85 is .38SPL only. I believe all the M85s are .38SPL.

The M605s are .357/.38. I have not put .357s through the M605. I'm not really into the recoil punishment that I imagine would result. One of these days I'll get brave and try at least one.

The super nice thing about these is thier reliability.
Reliability and flexibility! I agree 100%, the 357 fired from a snubby revolver is unpleasant to say the least!!! It's cool and I've had a flame shoot out the barrel :thumb: but after about 15-20 rds I'm about ready to go back to 38 spl.

·
Registered
694 Posts
So many choices available from Taurus. The M85 is available hammerless as the M850. The M605 is also available hammerless as the M650. The hammerless models are sometimes referred to as the CIA models.

The MIC holster looks interesting, but not something I would use. I see no way to attach the weapon to your body other than the lanyard, not sure I could trust that. To each his own.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The MIC holster looks interesting, but not something I would use. I see no way to attach the weapon to your body other than the lanyard, not sure I could trust that. To each his own.
I'm interested more as a trigger cover than an actual "holster". Although I read somewhere where someone put a large safety pin for the lanyard in his wife's purse and used a MIC for purse carry. Interesting idea. The normal carry for a MIC is with the lanyard looped around your belt and the weapon dropped down your pants. Like a semi Mexican carry. There's a video on the site that shows it if interested.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
All modern Taurus 850 and 85 models are rated for +P. NEVER fire +P+ ammo in any firearm unless the manufacture specifies that the firearm is rated for such ammo.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For anyone interested, I ordered and got my MIC "trigger-cover" holster for my M605 revolver today. Fits snug (quite the understatement!!!) and I like it. I just need to now figure a few ways to deploy this bad boy because it holds the gun tight and it covers the trigger well. Anyone interested go here and scroll down: GLOCKTECH MIC HOLSTER SYSTEMS- Home of the Original MIC Holster since 1997

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
605 and 85 ...are the same size...( Both "J" frame size) but the the 85 can be had in a Ultra Light model...and the 605 can not...
SURE IT CAN! Well, sorta, 19 ounce 605 Poly. The Poly has a wider trigger guard and more squereish frame. that keeps it out of some holsters made for the metal 605s.

But, the metal 605 and 85 are the same size, yes, even the same length cylinder. I just checked.

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
For anyone interested, I ordered and got my MIC "trigger-cover" holster for my M605 revolver today. Fits snug (quite the understatement!!!) and I like it. I just need to now figure a few ways to deploy this bad boy because it holds the gun tight and it covers the trigger well. Anyone interested go here and scroll down: GLOCKTECH MIC HOLSTER SYSTEMS- Home of the Original MIC Holster since 1997
It should break in to the gun, but just looking at it, tight fit is necessary for retention. Strange holster. Not sure what to think.. Congrats. :D

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have an 85 and a 605 but the 357 cartridge is to long for the 85 cylinder. Never seen an 85 that will handle a 357 cartridge.

By Chuck Hawks:

The .38 Special, .38 Special +P and .357 Magnum represent three distinct power levels using the same bullets and all three cartridges can be fired from any .357 Magnum revolver. The cases are dimensionally identical, except that the Magnum case is 0.135" longer than the Special case.

This prevents .357 Magnum cartridges from entering a .38 Special chamber, but not the reverse.

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
I have an 85 and a 605 but the 357 cartridge is to long for the 85 cylinder. Never seen an 85 that will handle a 357 cartridge.
Yeah, I opened the cylinders and checked a little closer and the 605's cylinder is a 10th of an inch longer. BUT, it would accept a light bullet .357 were it not for the .38 having a ridge in the cylinder stopping the .357 from entering any further than the .38 does. I recall when Ruger chambered the first SP101s for .357, they left the cylinder the same length and warned that no .357 load heavier than 125 grains would fit the cylinder. They later modified the gun to accept a slightly longer cylinder.

I held a 140 grain JHP .357 load up to the outside of the 85 and, yes, the cylinder is long enough for it, but of course it ill not load to the rim for safety reasons.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It should break in to the gun, but just looking at it, tight fit is necessary for retention. Strange holster. Not sure what to think.. Congrats. :D

Let us know how it works out.
So far (a whole 2 days!!! :D) it's pretty neat. I'm not sure I like referring to it as a "holster" per se, but more a trigger guard. It covers the trigger so a loaded revolver can be safely handled and moved around (IMO). The way it is shown to use for carry, you loop the lanyard around your belt and dangle the gun down your pants (videos on the site). Better than "Mexican carry" but not as good as a real holster, again, IMO. Some swear by it and if you can get it to work, it looks feasible. If you're looking for the most minimal bulk and still safely shroud the trigger of a revolver (or semi-auto ...) it's a good deal. But it's a choice.

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
So far (a whole 2 days!!! :D) it's pretty neat. I'm not sure I like referring to it as a "holster" per se, but more a trigger guard. It covers the trigger so a loaded revolver can be safely handled and moved around (IMO). The way it is shown to use for carry, you loop the lanyard around your belt and dangle the gun down your pants (videos on the site). Better than "Mexican carry" but not as good as a real holster, again, IMO. Some swear by it and if you can get it to work, it looks feasible. If you're looking for the most minimal bulk and still safely shroud the trigger of a revolver (or semi-auto ...) it's a good deal. But it's a choice.

:eek::loco: Ummm, I think not. I would imagine that after the fact, Plaxico Burris might like it. It'd work for sweats, I suppose. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts