Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at the Model 85 (5 rnd .38 Spl) and it is a VERY NICE feeling gun. What is your experience with these little guns or their Model 605 brothers in .357?

·
32,651 Posts
Own a 85CH older model.Double action only, with the hammer bobbed and slimmed down by the company already. Won't catch on material or other obstructions when drawing and can fire through a jacket pocket if necessary. There are safe techniques to do this, but will not go into major detail here unless needed. Don't try this at home without thoroughly knowing and understanding how to shoot from the pocket safely. Need an old throw away jacket to practice this with as not to ruin a good one. Have over 5000 rounds through it and it is still giving decent accuracy and is holding up under the strain of the sometimes used 158 grain LSWCHPs +Ps that have been put down range. Cylinder lock up is still good. No end play. And the cylinder chambers line up exactly where they are supposed to. Practice with standard pressure 158 grain FMJ or RNL cartridges. Also like to shoot the bulk 130 grain metal cased ammo that Winchester and other ammo companies manufacture. Have to look aorund the net and at stores to find the bargain of the moment as this changes frequently.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Many years ago I got a 605 for my mother. No, she's never tried even +P's let alone magnums but when my friends and I had it out it got feed mostly magnums with no trouble.

I've had a M85SS for a couple of years now. My trigger has smoothed out very nicely. My only issue is that the factory two finger grip doesn't agree with me but I keep it on as it works for pocket carry. Mine has had the hammer spur removed via dremel. Yes, that is not the preferred way but I got it new for $250 so didn't care.

The different grips do make a huge difference is the perceived recoil between my factory grips and the pachmayr compacts I also have. The difference in felt recoil was noticed my two of my shooting buddies as well. I haven't tried the factory three finger grip (got one on my M94) nor have I shot with the cheap two finger boot grip from CDNN.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
I've got four or five K rounds mostly light loads, but some +P in my M85 Ultra Lite. It's still tight, no end shake, and quite accurate. The little thing rides great in a pocket and shows very little holster wear (stainless/alloy construction) for being 11 years old and carried a LOT. The DA trigger is the absolute best I've ever owned in an out of the box revolver. Awesome trigger. Even among the gun snobs, the little M85 seems to have a better rep than other Taurus revolvers. There's a lot of 'em out there and they're great working guns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts