Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 83 year old grandfather bought a used Taurus 85 Titanium yesterday at a local gun show used. I'm not going to get in to how he got hosed on the deal, but I'm concerned more about the fact that the trigger/action is completely horrible. He is unable to manipulate a slide on a semi auto which is why he had to get a revolver. Due to some war injuries, and his age, it's just not possible to pull back a slide on anything. Once he got the gun home I found the trigger to be very...gritty. I can feel something out of whack. I had a Rossi 461 and the trigger was 10xs better on it than this Taurus. I'm both afraid he will have problems pulling the trigger more than once and also that there is something wrong with the gun. Is there anything special to take into consideration before I take apart a titanium pistol? He bought it used to taurus isn't going to be much help.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,548 Posts
Actually, Taurus can help.
Their guns have a lifetime warranty and it makes no difference how many times the gun has changed hands.
The worst that can happen is that he'll have to pay shipping both ways.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If you have some working knowledge on revolvers remove the side plate, clean the internals and relube with a synthetic lubricant. The biggest issues I see with revolvers is either the lubricant dries up or become gummy. You will need a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers to do this.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I second giving it a good cleaning. Don't go easy on it either. Go Gun Scrubber or even brake cleaner. With the grip removed of course. Blast the guns clean and then once it's dry again give it a couple of drops of a nice thin oil like Remoil. Taurus has been known to leave a shaving or two in the action. If after a real cleaning it's still gritty then find the proper slotted driver and pull the side plate. You can do an easy forum or youtube search for videos on how to do this. Also, make sure the back of the cylinder and the extractor is clean. Revolvers get really bad with only a little build up under the extractor star.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Is the 85 new or nearly new? My 605 Titanium trigger was gritty when new. A very good cleaning and light lubricating made a world of difference. What little roughness was left soon vanished after a box or two of ammo went downrange. After a year or so I sent it back to Taurus for a minor problem unrelated to the internals. When it came back it was gritty again. Another good cleaning, and it was as good as before. I think their lube must be gritty somehow.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have had occasion to have some of the early Taurus titanium revolvers apart and the machining left a little to be desired. High spots where steel rubs against titanium can have a gritty or gummy feel. Careful smoothing of just the high spots can help. I think it took all gun manufacturers a while to get the art of machining titanium down.
My 83 year old grandfather bought a used Taurus 85 Titanium yesterday at a local gun show used. I'm not going to get in to how he got hosed on the deal, but I'm concerned more about the fact that the trigger/action is completely horrible. He is unable to manipulate a slide on a semi auto which is why he had to get a revolver. Due to some war injuries, and his age, it's just not possible to pull back a slide on anything. Once he got the gun home I found the trigger to be very...gritty. I can feel something out of whack. I had a Rossi 461 and the trigger was 10xs better on it than this Taurus. I'm both afraid he will have problems pulling the trigger more than once and also that there is something wrong with the gun. Is there anything special to take into consideration before I take apart a titanium pistol? He bought it used to taurus isn't going to be much help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.