Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2nd Taurus, a M85 Polymer Protector, I just took to the range.

First thoughts;

It's light. Really damn light. It feels the same weight as my 709 slim. I have carried it all day concealed. I have almost zero printing. And twice have forgotten about it.

I LOVE the grip on it. I have seen people wishing there were other grips made. I see, personally, no use for them. I practice drawing from my conceal position. I can get my hand on the gun and out no issues at all. I actually feel like I can throw it out there faster than my 709. Maybe placebo?

Anyways, shooting it was great. At first, I was shooting high and to the left. As I shot through more rounds I was able to get better. I was roughly 12-15 yards out and groups them ok, I guess. Will take time. I've never in my life shot a revolver. I also shot 100 rounds of American Eagle FMJs. And 5 rounds of Federal +P

The recoil isn't really noticeable. I'm a bigger guy, 6'4" 200lbs. I'm sure that matters, but even with the +p I couldn't really "feel" the kick.

I'm dead on with my 709, but this will take some getting used to. The DA is smooth. Pulling back the hammer is easy, and the trigger touches off nice. I actually practiced more without the hammer back. Just figured I better get used to a "useful" situation.

The trigger pull is long and it's weighty. But I understand why. SO all of that being said;

The finish is phenomenal. I not being as old school, wasn't enamored with a revolver. And the looks, the wood grips, steel etc just never appealed to me. As soon as I saw this I fell in love. As soon as I picked it up, I had to have it. And now that I have shot it, and carried it, I've confirmed that if it continues to shoot well, I've picked a great life partner! Haha

Anyways there it is, my first impressions! The pic attached is my 4-6 time shooting. I taped a target over a target. You can see to the left and right where I was missing at first...

Recreation Sport venue Games Precision sports

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad you like your poly protector. I do really well with the 158gr they sell at Wal Mart. I tried some Remington 125gr sjhp and they were not near as comfy to shoot as the Federals. Next I am getting some 158gr Blazer aluminum cased to try.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
You, sir, did not waste any time getting to the range.

Thanks for the report. There might be one of these in my future. If I can negotiate a good price.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you like your poly protector. I do really well with the 158gr they sell at Wal Mart. I tried some Remington 125gr sjhp and they were not near as comfy to shoot as the Federals. Next I am getting some 158gr Blazer aluminum cased to try.
38 is more scarce than 9mm right now. It's bizarre. As soon as I can find it, I'll try it!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You, sir, did not waste any time getting to the range.

Thanks for the report. There might be one of these in my future. If I can negotiate a good price.
If it helps, I have a friend in WVa who owns a LGS. he gets his at cost around 280.00, the best price I have seen is what I paid. 330.00, and as high as 400(the silver colored cylinder)

It's a great shooting gun so far!

Will take it back next week for more

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
If it helps, I have a friend in WVa who owns a LGS. he gets his at cost around 280.00, the best price I have seen is what I paid. 330.00, and as high as 400(the silver colored cylinder)

It's a great shooting gun so far!

Will take it back next week for more
Cool! The M85 Poly is 285 (+Tax) OTD here in MN/ND at the local Fleet Farm. They do have 'em on sale occassionally for about 260; and I am waiting for that sale again. What type of ammo were you feeding it at the last trip?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! The M85 Poly is 285 (+Tax) OTD here in MN/ND at the local Fleet Farm. They do have 'em on sale occassionally for about 260; and I am waiting for that sale again. What type of ammo were you feeding it at the last trip?
Wow. I'm jealous :/ I thought I got. A great deal. Haha

I was shooting American Eagle 130gr FMJ

then I shot a few of the 129hr Hydro Shock +p

I felt zero difference between the two

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Wow. I'm jealous :/ I thought I got. A great deal. Haha

I was shooting American Eagle 130gr FMJ

then I shot a few of the 129hr Hydro Shock +p

I felt zero difference between the two
Cool. I will have to remember that. What is your carry ammo?

Your friend does not buy a large number of firearms unlike the big-box-stores. At 330, it is still a good deal! :)

Enjoy your firearm in good health!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool. I will have to remember that. What is your carry ammo?

Your friend does not buy a large number of firearms unlike the big-box-stores. At 330, it is still a good deal! :)

Enjoy your firearm in good health!
I use the federal p+, the hollow point hydra shok for carry in my m85 and federal guard dog in the 709

And whatever I can find to practice! Haha.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another 50 flawless rounds yesterday! This time I was a little more accurate with it. Ha!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts