Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a model 85 that is currently giving me problems - it was purchased earlier this year. After firing one or two rounds the revolver will not cycle in double-action mode, i.e. when I pull the trigger the cylinder binds. I usually have to pull the hammer back in single-action mode and help the cylinder along to get the next round into battery. When I dry fire the revolver I don't have this problem at all.

At first I thought the problem was with the security system and I would rotate the safety in and out of engagement to make sure that wasn't the problem - it wasn't. Now I'm beginning to think that the firing pin is not retracting after ignition, although I'm not sure of that theory either since it seems to retract just fine when dry fired with a spend cartridge.

Before I send this back to Taurus I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and came up with a solution - I really don't want to have to wait several months to get my snubbie back.

·
Administrator
17,915 Posts
One of the things we've noticed at our Range is that .38 Special Loadings with Lead Bullets, cast or swaged, have a tendancy to come forward in the shell casings, out the front of the cylinders, binding up the revolver, as the bullet obstructs the barrel forcing cone extension. This tends to happen with all brands of .38 Special Ammo, loaded with Lead Bullets, Remington/UMC being the worst offender. The smaller revolvers seem the be more susceptible to the problem, their Cylinders being slightly shorter. My cast bulleted .38 Special Reloads won't do this as I make sure to properly crimp the bullets in place.

If when shooting your loads and you feel the cylinder bind during rotation, stop shooting and check to see if that rounds bullet nose has been shaved by the barrel forcing cone extension.

Try a box of the 110 grain jacketed Winchester/USA loadings or any other commercial equivalent jacketed loading. If no problems then, you have the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback on lead ammo. I load my own and use a taper crimp on my cartridges, mainly to extend the life of cases. My crimps are snug enough to keep bullets from moving forward. Factory loads seem to be OK to - that is the cylinder rotates with a little help from my offhand. I actually ran ten rounds of factory Remington 130 grain FMC through the 85 yesterday and continued to have the cylinder bind.

I think the center pin sticking may be my problem. I'll know for sure this weekend when I find some time to take the revolver apart. I'd really like to have this problem solved since this will be my carry piece once my concealed weapons permit comes in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jahfakin said:
I too have a Taurus 85, and wanted to know if you figured out what the problem was?
I think the link posted by "likestoshoot" may be the solution to the problem. I didn't disassemble the cylinder and yoke, but I did take the entire assembly and soak it in a jar of Hoppes No. 9. I then cleaned everything up and applied some Kroil to the parts that I think are sticking. I was able to shoot about twenty rounds before I started getting lock up problems again. If I can find the time I'm going to completely disassemble the cylinder/crane and clean up the lockup pin and spring. I think that will solve my problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a very similar problem with a 850 CIA. I solved it by steam cleaning the cylinder release really well. It was full of gunk I couldn't see. It solved the problem it has worked perfect since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts