Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing some help on this one. Perhaps some of you might remember my purchase of model 85 revolver. It was made in in 1997. I did not get a manufactures book with it when I purchased it. Does anyone know if it shoots +P .38 ammo? I'm afraid it doesn't. I purchased some .38 ammo for it and shot a few rounds with +P. The gun seems fine, but I definitely don't want to be running extremely hot ammo through it if it doesn't call for it.

·
32,803 Posts
Foofer. This has been one of the more asked questions about model 85s. Have the 85CH. While the manual claims to say no, the catalog says yes. Since the catalog is updated more frequently than the manual some or constant use should be ok. The cosensus is that some +P use will not hurt the revolver. +P rounds can batter or stretch the frame over time. Depends on the amount of pressure for each particular +P round is loaded to. It all depends on how many rounds are sent down range that are +P and how often this is done. Standard pressure practice loads can be the same weight and have the same impact point as the +Ps for the 158 grain rounds. Lighter bullet weights might have different point of impact. Use the standard pressure loads for most of the practice at the range. Then shoot 20 to 30 rounds of +pP to stay current with that load. This causes less wear and tear on parts and the frame as well as cheaper in the long run. A steady practice with +P rounds can hit the wallet pretty hard. Even if most of the shots fired are of the +P variety, your revolver should be able to handle the steady diet. I have and older model 85CH. The cylinder is still tight with no end shake, timing problems,rattles,or other problems. Ruger's SP101 was designed for limitless +P use. S&W and Taurus models need a little more care. We have veteran members who have 85s with many +P rounds through their chambers and have had no problems. A search of the archives will bring this to light. Or even perusing the old threads on just this subject in the ammo dept. or here.

·
Super Moderator
35,674 Posts
powerkicker said:
I have an obscene amount of +p handloads through my very old M85. No troubles.
Ditto. And, I bought mine about 96 or 97 and wanted it SPECIFICALLY because it was a light alloy gun that was +P rated, one of the first and the first affordable +P gun under 20 ounces that I can recall. At the time it was new and I'd read a couple of gun 'zine articles that talked about it being a tough handgun and +P factory rated and that's why I bought it. I'd just gotten my CCW at the time and it has fit into my carry battery quite well for 10 years now, love the thing. It's just as tight now as it ever was and the trigger is the best I've ever felt in a J frame sized gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will say this, when shooting the +P through the gun, it didn't seem to adversely affect it any. But it is really strange how it came to me almost one month after shooting it. I got to thinking about it, and felt that the gun was really pushing out hot loads. It then hit me, "I bet that was +P ammo". I went and looked at the box closer, and low and behold it was +P. I bet I read the box closer next time. Thanks for the input guys. Good to know that I didn't commit the unforgivable sin with my sweet little Taurus 85 :)

·
32,803 Posts
Since I have an older model than most of yours +P use is limited. Just not taking chances even though it probably won't harm the revolver to use more of the higher pressure ammo. Metalurgy today and in the last decade or so has become much better than when this older 85 was built. Really was looking at the newer Taurus snubs until the bottom fell out of attempts to get CCW carry here in this state. Now it is not so important and the 85CH is still going strong.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Since I have an older model than most of yours +P use is limited. Just not taking chances even though it probably won't harm the revolver to use more of the higher pressure ammo. Metalurgy today and in the last decade or so has become much better than when this older 85 was built. Really was looking at the newer Taurus snubs until the bottom fell out of attempts to get CCW carry here in this state. Now it is not so important and the 85CH is still going strong.
My 85 is probably nearly 20 years old. I bought it used 15 years ago. It's the older one and it works although the machining was rougher back then than it is today.

·
Super Moderator
35,674 Posts
Heck, I put a LOT of +P through a stainless M88 Rossi snub. It never loosened, took it all in stride. That gun was quite accurate with 158 +P. I also have a few rounds of +P through a 3" vintage 1981 M68 Rossi. It shoots well. The Rossis were not +P rated by the factory, but it don't seem to hurt the all steel guns at all. I do limit +P in most of my guns, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 85's made in the last 10 years (maybe before) will take +P's as well as anything from S&W. The Taurus blue steel models are the strongest in the Taurus line. I shoot plenty of +P's though mine. In my85TI I limit practice to regular loads that have the same point of impact as the +P's that it's carried with.

The difference between a factory 38+P and a "regular 38" is quite small. But, I would limit lots of +P's to Steel frame models.

Something to watch for is "Bullet Jump." Many people buy or load lead 38's. Load the gun with 5 rounds, measure the OAL of the fifth round. Fire the first four and re-measure the OAL of the fifth round. You don't want to see much of a change - this will lock-up the gun.

Elliot

·
32,803 Posts
Good point E357. As he had said bullets can pull out of the cases or they can be jammed further down into the case causing over pressure. It can happen with the titanium as well as the much lighter models. That includes the Scandium class of revolvers as well. Binding or jamming the cylinder makes the gun inoperable. Over pressure will cause the gun to have a catastrophic event. Either way the revolver is out of commision when needed the most. Hospital stays are never any fun when getting put back together, if they can.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you so much Guys.
I live in Johannesburg South Africa and have just acquired a Blue Steel Taurus .38 85S made around 1999.
Nobody could tell me if it was 'safe' to use +P ammunition in it.
Tried sending faxes to Taurus in the USA but they don't seem to want to reply to me. :(
You have all given me super answers to my question.
Thanks again......and yes I will now sometimes be using +p ammunition as well as my practice rounds when I'm at the ranges.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Keith,

welcome aboard!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.