Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am seriously considering a Model 85 - as a back up home firearm. Will be left loaded and ready for the wife, if there is every a need, to use. I have looked at other comparable models from Ruger, S&W, etc. However, Taurus still offers the best reliability and value at a great price.

My question would be the differences in comfort and feel between the M85 Poly and the M85 UL. How does the recoil compare on both of these? Also, on occasion I might be tempted to use it for my CCW. So concealability and holster availability becomes an issue.

The 85 Poly is on sale at Fleet Farm every so often, and can be had for around 3 bills (including tax). Also, I have not been able to compare the 2 side by side - and wonder if one had an advantage over the other.

Also, what ammo for practice for .38 special?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad you asked this question. I am looking for the same answers you are. Just recently bought a 709 slim and really like it but want an 85 of some variant also.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Not a wheel gun guy or a 38 guy BUT if I were it would have to handle +P which the 85 does. There would have to be holsters available (I'd WANT to carry it too!) and there are a LOT - quick search shows MANY major makers. It is a light gun or lighter depending on which one you get but all are right in that game.

Is your wife a shooter? A light gun with a short barrel and a +P load 38 will be a bit lively - is that a good match for her??

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a wheel gun guy or a 38 guy BUT if I were it would have to handle +P which the 85 does. There would have to be holsters available (I'd WANT to carry it too!) and there are a LOT - quick search shows MANY major makers. It is a light gun or lighter depending on which one you get but all are right in that game.

Is your wife a shooter? A light gun with a short barrel and a +P load 38 will be a bit lively - is that a good match for her??
Wife is a hunter but not a shooter. ;-)

I do not think the +P load is going to make a big difference in a life or death situation. Just aim and squeeze.

Thanks for the feedback. Am concerned about the grips on both. I like the poly version.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
On a quick look the price is right - you posted about "why" you want to up your security. I'd get it and set up some range time - if she gets to good follow up shots and likes the fit you probably have a winner. Has she handled the gun herself??

Reactions: shiftace

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a quick look the price is right - you posted about "why" you want to up your security. I'd get it and set up some range time - if she gets to good follow up shots and likes the fit you probably have a winner. Has she handled the gun herself??
Not yet. But we have a date this weekend. A few towns over at a nice German restaurant. Of course, I will be stopping by the LGS there to pickup my Ruger 22. Maybe I can get her to handle one, if we find it in stock. :)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
If it were me I would get the Mdl85UL. You have a far better choice/selection on holsters and grips; plus, the 85UL is the lighter of the two. I have two 85ULs, (2007 & 2012) both stainless steel. l load mine with the following load from Buffalo Bore®..........
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=110

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it were me I would get the Mdl85UL. You have a far better choice/selection on holsters and grips; plus, the 85UL is the lighter of the two. I have two 85ULs, (2007 & 2012) both stainless steel. l load mine with the following load from Buffalo Bore®..........
Lighter might be good. What is the grip like, when compared to the poly?? Is it smaller and harder to grip???

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I have two of the M85 pistols, one in magnesium weighing in at just over 13oz unloaded, the other is an ultra light in blue somewhere around 17oz unloaded. I did have a standard M85 metal frame but it felt pretty heavy compared to these other two. Do still have a M327 which is the same frame as the M85, so I can still compare the weights of standard metal vs ultra light vs magnesium lyte.

Now I do not have the M85 in poly, but I do have the 605 in poly.

If I had to choose between the poly and the metal frame, it would be hands down the metal framed revolver. The poly revolver at least in the 605 seems to experience more issues than the metal frame.

Also the M85 metal revolver has a selection of grips and holster to choose from, where as the Poly selection is few and far between.

I keep the magnesium 85 loaded where the wife can get to it nice and easy. Simple aim and fire do the deed get it done fix the problem pistol. I keep the 85 Ultra light in the rear foyer where it jumps on board my body anytime I head out the door.

I did just pick up a Ultra lite 445 .44spl 2" that will be joining me more and allowing the 85 some time off.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Lighter might be good. What is the grip like, when compared to the poly?? Is it smaller and harder to grip???

The answer to that question would be better answered by handling the pistol. I liked the Hogue rubber finger grips better than the Taurus factory rubber. But it will all depend on ones hand size and what feels right to them. As far as recoil or punch to the hand between the metal vs ultra light, I can't tell much if any. But then there is a lot hand on this big ole body.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Just a note - the poly protector is actually a 2 1/2" and the UL is a 2" - My steel 2" 85 is very comfortable to have on all day - I use a Galco Paddle Lite PDL160B. I went to a paddle because it is more convenient if I need to go into someplace that is not 'weapons friendly' to not need to undo a belt - and I actually seldom wear a belt. I tried an IWB but it wasn't for me. This setup allows you to wear it in any position from what I call 3 o'clock to behind the back. I have handled the poly protector and I really like it - grips seem to be similar to the "combat" grips or Houge style - just one finger longer.......

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not have big hands. Just long fingers. The wife has normal (?) Hands. I think, as she would say otherwise. So the right grip kinda makes a world of difference. The 85 poly is the only one I have seen in stores around here. Felt good in my hand. But nothing to compare with. :) Not much to pick from these days anyway.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

I've never handled a Taurus® Poly revolver so I can't help you with that. As for my Mdl 85UL's the primary carried @ 4 o'clock wears Pachmayr® Compac-Professional™ grips. The other carried in the pants pocket, jacket pocket, or on an ankle holster; wears the factory Taurus® boot grips. See here..........

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never handled a Taurus® Poly revolver so I can't help you with that. As for my Mdl 85UL's the primary carried @ 4 o'clock wears Pachmayr® Compac-Professional™ grips. The other carried in the pants pocket, jacket pocket, or on an ankle holster; wears the factory Taurus® boot grips. See here..........
]
Must ask. Factory sights??? Or aftermarket job??

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thats one of the reasons that I sold my 85 poly, There were no SPECIFIC holsters available for it at the time. The M85 UL had a Fobus for it and it was a perfect carry piece.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wife has the 85 Poly and while she loves the feel and handle of it, I would have to agree, fitted grips and molded holster selection is very slim to none unless you have a "do it yourself" kydex kit.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
I have one that my wife uses most of the time. She is disabled and has limited use of her right arm but is still a good shot she shot a lot with me before the injury so its natural for her to retain muscle memory. I also like it for out walking the dogs or just going to the store.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
My M85UL is on my belt in it's Tagula holster right now, so light and nice to carry. Carry ammo is .38 Special +P Winchester PDX1 Defender 130 Grain JHP, Range ammo is whatever reloads they have at the range today....

M-85-UL.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts