Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one is these this weekend. It is basically a model 85 ultralight with a fiber optic front sight and a "built up" (for the lack of a better term) rear sight. It is black (not blued, it seems to have a armor kote type finish) and has a homeland defender logo on it. I have not seen any taurus revolvers set up this way except for "the judge". Does anyone else have one of these? I can't find mention of it online anywhere.

I put 100 rounds through it Saturday afternoon and I am in love. It will be my new pocket gun. Anyone else have one?

Mike

·
Super Moderator
35,135 Posts
Re: Model 85ul Homeland Defender

I've got a stainless 85UL on which I've had a dove tail black front sight installed. Not a "homeland defender" model or anything. I think if I'm called to arms to defend my homeland, I'll take a rifle. LOL! But, sounds like I'd have been better served with that model, no need to install a black sight. But, I really like my 85UL, accurate, reliable, and a slick as heck DA trigger, best I've ever owned out of the box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Rest assured I bought it for the sights not the cheesey logo. :D

I'm with you. If I'm doing any "homeland defending" I believe I'll either grab a AR or FAL. But I think the lil snubbie will be fine for BUG duty.

·
Super Moderator
35,135 Posts

I carry mine as a primary, only gun, actually, and feel right well armed most times. Now, if I go to the big city, it's back up, but I live in a podunk little town and don't think I need more.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
CliffB said:
Looks neat, and I must fire one.... if my range only rented...must...resist...urge...to....buy......
RESISTANCE IF FUTILE YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!

·
32,572 Posts
Yeah, and look what happened to the Borg Queen when she tried that. Yeah, yeah, back on track. ;D

Have the older 85CH. Can't get it to snag on clothing or any material, can fire from a jacket pocket , if needed, and stops the cocked before firing "negligent discharge" chicanery overzealous prosecutors or unscrupulous trail lawyers like to try to get another scalp to hang on their belt.

It's still going strong after 20 years.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I wonder what Taurus is doing with these 'Homeland Defender' models because I saw a PT1911 with the same emblem. Are they giving proceeds to a charity or something or are they just a marketing tactic or a special run of some sort? You definitely have a great looking revolver there!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mrglock said:
I wonder what Taurus is doing with these 'Homeland Defender' models because I saw a PT1911 with the same emblem. Are they giving proceeds to a charity or something or are they just a marketing tactic or a special run of some sort? You definitely have a great looking revolver there!
It's not just Taurus...Glock and Bushmaster are selling arms with the same logo. I think it must be some sort of marketing deal....maybe put together by a big distributer??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 85ul that I bought a few months ago. Doesnt have the Homeland logo on it, but so far, it's been a great gun. When I first bought it, I used it as a BUG, but here lately, I use it as my primary

·
32,572 Posts
Model 85s are very useful. Dedication to shooting these harder to shoot revolvers over their bigger brethren is needed. But they offer some advantages over pistols.

Simple manual of arms,easier to grasp when drawing from pocket or holster(don't make me quote Mas Ayoob,Clint Smith,Chuck Karwan, or Chuck Taylor on this :) ) and it's always there for carry anywhere one goes, when the bigger gun is in the locker at home. Can shoot through pockets if it's a CH or shrouded model without jamming. Have to practice this very carefully if possible and where one can. Too easy to shoot one's self or others. I use snap caps. ;)

Long range accuracy to 50 or 100 yards can be amazing for many different brands, makes, and models of snubbies.

It has been documented well back a decade or two ago, that anyone with a snubbie is still a dangerous opponent out to some rifle range distances. There were a number of cases where snubbie wielding criminals were shot and killed at over 25 yards,closer to 50 yards or more. LEOs and civilians were taken to court or to the grand jury level.

It was proven without a doubt the accuracy and threat that a snubbie armed person was at rifle ranges approaching and up to 100 yards. Even a little beyond that.
Courts and grand juries were shown physically at the ranges and on video the snubbie's and the shooter's capabilities.

While a majority of criminals are not going to be that accurate or practice to hit at long distance there were enough cases where criminals had shot at 50- 100 yards and severely hurt or killed others with short barreled revolvers.

Thus the LEOs and civilians in all these cases were given clean records and exonerated of any wrong doing.
Major precedent for those who have to defend themselves against criminals bearing short barreled revolvers being shot at long range has been around for quite a while.

Granted, most owners of snubbies are not going to go practice or have to use their snubs at 50 or more yards. It happens enough to have to consider though.

In several recent( make that last year or so) there have been cases in Combat Handguns or police and tactical journals on just such documented cases where this has happened in recent years.

Also has been documented where civilians and LEOs had only a snub revolver and had to go up against rifle toting thugs. No back up was near by and something had to be done as people were being shot. Said civilian or off duty LEO went, engaged the perp or perps, and won.

Doesn't mean one just runs off into a situation. But for moral reasons these responders had a plan,knew how to shoot at extended ranges, and saved others and themselves from great harm or death.

Not everybody is going to make this kind of commitment to the snub nor is it expected. Nor can one practice at gun ranges at these extended ranges. Just for consideration. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts