Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Model 83 today, has walnut target stocks and what seems like a target trigger. The serial number has a "J" prefix and the Taurus serial number lookup has no info. Can anyone give me an approximate age for this revolver. It is a dead ringer for a S+W Model 15, Picture attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota. Very nice wheel gun.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Those are nice guns. I've owned a number of the older Taurus revolvers, and while they're not as nice as a Smith & Wesson or a Colt, they're good servicable revolvers, and generally have much more attractive prices..You may be able to go to Taurus' website and find some information on the age. They have a S/N lookup feature. It's never been much use to me, because the guns I buy are usually too old, but since yours has a letter prefix, you might find it.

·
32,854 Posts
Welcome aboard.

There are several possibilities.

The gun model finder, Taurus International Manufacturing Inc might or might not be able to tell you when the gun was made. Give it a try anyway.

Calling Customer Service may be of little help to find this out as guns from the 1990s on seem to be in the Taurus USA data base.1-800-327-3776. Give them a call anyway and see if they can help with when the gun was made.

This is known for sure.

The model 83 was made from 1971- 1998.
Worth? 100%:$220; 98%:$190; 95%:$165; 90%:$150; 80%:$120; 70%:$110
Add $15 for nickel finish.

If this is a stainless steel model it was made from 1993-1998.

With gun prices and worth escalating at the high rate that prices are that revolver may be worth more than quoted from Blue Book of Gun Values, which is this years copy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I was very pleased with the condition; you all have been a big help. Will be seeing how it shoots on Friday. This is my second Taurus; I also have a magnesium alloy 856 for concealed carry.

·
32,854 Posts
Must of been reading the mind here. You reading mine that is.

Love the Taurus 856 Magnesium Lyte model.

6 shots instead of 5. Nyclad 125gr. hollowpoints bet used in it. Or www.buffalobore.com rounds that are standard pressure defense rounds get the nod. There are 130-132 gr, practice rounds by several ammo makers out there.

The 856 Lyte does not sag the pocket or drag down the pants. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I carry the 856 with a clipdraw (Clipdraw? For Secure Carry Without a Holster.) Holds it in so snugly and it's so light I almost forget that it's there. I was torn between a barami hip-grip, and the clipdraw. I'd used the barami before with spotty results, so I gave the clipdraw a try. I'm really glad I did. Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts