Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used Taurus Model 83 38 Special in very good condition. I called the Taurus service department with the serial number and they told me that it was manufactured in 1994. They also told me that I should only use standard pressure ammo in this revolver as the Model 83 was certified for +P ammo starting in 1995. I have fired about 15 rounds of Winchester 125 gr. +P ammo (keep it loaded with this ammo for SD) thru it but mostly its seen 158 gr. lrn ammo. I've heard that this is the same medium-sized frame used on their Model 65 and 66 357 magnums and the Model 82 38 special. My question is this: Did Taurus change the metallurgy of this frame starting in 1995 to strengthen it for +P or was it just a lawyer-arranged warranty change. I've thought of trading this off on a new Model 82 that is +P rated but I really like the condition of this Model 83 and the adjustable sights. Don't really want a 357 magnum (been there, done that) as my older hands (both hands had carpal tunnel surgery) and my old ears are just happy with 38 Special ammo!! A 4" barreled 38 Special service revolver will do anything that I need to do with a handgun! More than that then out comes the Rem 870 12 gauge!! Thanks for any input.
PS. I plan on getting a LEE Loader for 38 Special and work up a load with a 158 gr. SWC for general use in the field. Used one about 35 years ago to load for a Ruger Security Six 357 mag.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
One .38 load that has worked well for me is Federal's 110gr Hydra-shok loading. It gives near +p performance without the extra pressure that you could have with your revolver. That way you can keep your handgun, and still get the kind of performance you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Thanks for the interesting info on the old model 83s. I wonder if a call back to Taurus would get you the answer. Anybody know the full range of production dates for the model 83?

Coop

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Anybody know when Taurus switched over to the transfer bar? I wonder if this played any roll in capability to handle +P ammunition?

Coop

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
First off...Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.:cool:

Secondly, the whole +P thing is mostly "marketing hoop-la" to sell more ammo, and less wiz bang than most people believe.

Your gun shouldn't evaporate using it; although it's muchadoaboutnothing
:loco:.

Standard pressure .38 special has served law enforcement and the civilian community well since it's introduction in 1899.

I've never felt "under-gunned" using it on and off duty in my 42+ year career as an LEO. Still carrying it right now.
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I am on board with the standard pressure as well. I am most accurate with it and most 38 special rated revolvers work best with it. I prefer the 158 grain load. I also load 110 grain federal hydra shock at 7-10 yards that's all you need.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Whether a gun is rated for +P, or not, has little to do with it's ability to shoot it. It WILL accelerate wear, slightly, no matter the rating. It will NOT subject a gun in good condition to a catastrophic failure in and of itself. +P loadings are roughly 10% hotter than standard. The .38 Special was originally a black-powder loading, thus the lower pressure SAAMI specs. Accordingly, heat-treatments that are standard since the 1960s will allow for the use of ammunition loaded a little hotter than standard as a matter of course.

Most +P warnings are simply lawyer-proofing in our law-suit happy society.

Now +P+ is a different game entirely. These are performance based cartridges. They have a performance specification, and the pressures resulting from those specs are what they are. There is no SAAMI pressure max for +P+. The older Treasury loads come to mind here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts