Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought one of those South American surplus guns. It was not in its best shape as far as its finish went, so I figured I will redo it. I decided to go with Birchwood Casey Plum Brown Barrel Finish.

First I disassembled the gun all the way
Then I removed all the old blue using the Birchwood Casey Rust and Blue remover.
After that I sanded the finish with wet 400 grain sand paper followed by 1000 grain.
After that I did some Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish on all the parts.
Then I browned using the solution. I would heat up the gun parts to 275F using my kitchen oven.
I repeated the browning process 5 times on all the parts.
When all of it was done I boiled my gun parts for 20 minutes in water and oiled them in a ton of WD40 afterwards.
In 24 hours the gun was put together.

It has an awesome black and gray flat finish. I hope you can see it from the pictures.
I took the gun shooting a couple of times after that and the finish seems to hold up very well. I am happy. Take a look.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Nice job....looks like a totally different gun!

·
Registered
27,444 Posts
Impressive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks good. I recently re-blued an old Beretta with a similar technique that turned out really well. It just takes patience!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Looks real good! I bet your wife was thrilled about you using the pan and stove to "cook" your revolver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts