Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay, I was able to make it to the range recently with my newly acquired Taurus Model 82 .38 Special. Got it used. I'm no expert, but I would rate it at about 98% - very nice condition, no significant scratches or marks on the gun anywhere and shiny, bright bore with strong rifling.

Put 44 rounds of Remington 130gr FMJ thru it and was very pleased! Light recoil, good groups and accurate to POA. From the bench, most of my rounds went thru the same 2-inch hole in the bullseye at 30 feet! I had been a little concerned about having fixed sights on a revolver instead of adjustable, but based on my first outing, that's not going to be an issue, especially for SD purposes at SD distances.

Trigger pull is pretty smooth in DA, crisp and light in SA. So far I am very happy with this wheel gun! I do have two questions, though, as I have more experience with semis.

Questions:

1. I put 44 rounds total thru it. On two of the last five or six rounds, I felt some little specks of debris blow back into my face upon firing. Is this normal for revolvers? and yes, I was wearing eye protection so no worries there.

2. The little orange ring that fits over the cylinder/ejector. What is that for? Do I need to be concerned about keeping it in good shape and storing the revolver with that in place?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The specs to the face can be normal, especially if your gun is ported. But it might be a cylinder alignment issue. Check your lockup. Empty the gun, then dry fire it. Keep holding the trigger fulling back and check to see if there is any wobble in the cylinder. A little bit is okay, but if there is significant wobble, you have an issue that will need to be fixed. Send it back to Taurus or take it to a smith to check the cylinder alignment and lockup.

The orange plastic part is the same as an empty chamber indicator that autos use. Personally, I would toss it. It doesn't do anything but tell you the gun is empty, which you should be checking every time you pick the gun up anyway. Best not to rely on anything other than your own fingers and eyes to check if a gun is loaded.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The specks to the face only occurred twice, toward the end of 44 rounds, so I was thinking that maybe some residue was present from previously fired rounds...?

I checked cylinder wobble and cylinder alignment - all six, one at a time - before and after the range session, and didn't find anything that seemed abnormal. Then again, I am not a revolver expert.

Thanks for your help!

MrTuffPaws said:
The specs to the face can be normal, especially if your gun is ported. But it might be a cylinder alignment issue. Check your lockup. Empty the gun, then dry fire it. Keep holding the trigger fulling back and check to see if there is any wobble in the cylinder. A little bit is okay, but if there is significant wobble, you have an issue that will need to be fixed. Send it back to Taurus or take it to a smith to check the cylinder alignment and lockup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts