Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if my 40 year old Model 73 can handle the Magtech .32 s&w long 98 grain semi jacketed hollow point round? I noticed a note before buying that said "Designed only for guns capable of handling the higher pressures associated with premium loads".

I don't plan to shoot it much, but it would be nice as a back up home defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
SAAMI pressure for the .32 S&W Long is 15,000 psi. Can you find the pressure value for these Magtech cartridges, what exactly do they mean by "higher pressure"? If it does not exceed 15,000 PSI it should be okay... but I'd be inclined to find some regular .32 longs for that older model Taurus. Good luck!

Coop

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
With today's litigious society, and the abundance of older .32's out there, warning aside, I doubt any ammo maker would produce ammo that would lead to horrendous law suits.

Excellerated wear would probably be what you could expect. At any rate the "minor" performance advantage of this ammo wouldn't be worth the risk. I'd stick to standard pressure stuff.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Good points Moondawg. I read up on Magtech and they state their cartridges are loaded within the SAAMI specs (but did not list the pressures... proprietary info I suppose) and no +P for .32 long.

Coop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks moondawg and cooper! I'll just get some standard rounds since its my back up only anyway. No need to mess up my heirloom.

·
32,706 Posts
Did some research into the .32 S&W Long.

Magtech rounds in any form of the .32 S&W Long will work in your Taurus. None of their rounds are high pressure or high velocity. Not even a load that has or had a JHP some time ago.
Yes, there is no +P version of the .32 S&W Long. SAMMI has no such rating either as you already know.

There is also no +P for .32 H&R magnum, but www.buffalobore.com has such a load. It is not to be used in H&R or NEF revolvers for any reason. However for those who have newer .32 H&R revolvers such as Ruger and Taurus have made then that round can be used in them.

It would be near impossible to find a hot rodded .32 S&W Long load unless someone where handloading the cartridge to dangerous levels. Reloaders might do that but commercial concerns do not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info quicksdraw! Now I need to find readily available ammo. Seems round nose or wadcutter are easier to find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts