Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has accuracy results for the dual caliber/cylinder Taurus 692 revolver. Would like to see the 9mm and 38/357 comparison at 50 yards with optics.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the long barrel for man on man steel plate matches, wanted a moon clip 9mm. Can't see the price/quality the S&W. My reddot mount is on the way and I'll be shooting groups with 9mm federal 115gr. My goal is 7 shot 2.5 inch at 25 yards, if not it will be for sale cheap. About a week out

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the long barrel for man on man steel plate matches, wanted a moon clip 9mm. Can't see the price/quality the S&W. My reddot mount is on the way and I'll be shooting groups with 9mm federal 115gr. My goal is 7 shot 2.5 inch at 25 yards, if not it will be for sale cheap. About a week out
Keep us posted..my goal would be for NRA Action Pistol competition and the 50 yard practical event. The only "multi-caliber" revolver that I have experience with is the Manurhin MR73...the 9mm cylinder would shoot 2.5" groups at 50 yard...but wasn't a moon clip cylinder.

·
Registered
107 Posts
9mm accuracy will depend on bore size . If Taurus compromised and used a .356 bore the 9 should shoot OK . If they used a .357 bore probably not so good . Test I have seen show the 357 cylinder installed to shoot pretty well.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
9mm accuracy will depend on bore size . If Taurus compromised and used a .356 bore the 9 should shoot OK . If they used a .357 bore probably not so good . Test I have seen show the 357 cylinder installed to shoot pretty well.
Yes that is the theory - I own a Manurhin dual cylinder 357/9mm that will shoot 3" groups at 50 yards in either caliber. Bullet weight, design and barrel twist rate are also factors in accuracy - that's why I would like to see some actual hands on Taurus 692 results. Don't even know for example if the S&W Model 929 has a 9mm or 357 bore.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I'm old school....years ago gun magazines tested handguns with "Ransom rests" and ammo combinations ...just don't see that anymore.

·
Registered
107 Posts
NYED I am with you on accuracy testing. I shoot most of my guns , froma a sand bad rest, when load develpoment of factory ammo steting. I have a couple of Ruger SP101's that I shot for accuracy at 25 yards and the 9MM 101 was absymal !! My 4" /32mag, 4" /327 mag and my 3"/357 all shoot in the 2-3" group at 25 yards from a rest. My 2 1/4" 9MM would not hit a standard target at that distance and key holed 9MM cast bullets sized .356. I have several Trackers and all of them, when fed what they like will shoot 2-3" at 25 yards -- open sights and 74year old nut on the grip. I have a 627Ti , first one I had seen for sale in the 90's, that will shoot 1.5" groups at 25 with good cast bullet loads . The Ti is a nice gun but I use my SS 627 for stronger loads and preserve the Ti for lighter target loads. I know most calibers , if the bore and chamber mouth sizes are dimensionally correct . I have just received my new 692 -- you guys fault !! It is well made nice bead blasted finish but has a heavy trigger pull . I have a lighter main spring I will try in it

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NYED I am with you on accuracy testing. I shoot most of my guns , froma a sand bad rest, when load develpoment of factory ammo steting. I have a couple of Ruger SP101's that I shot for accuracy at 25 yards and the 9MM 101 was absymal !! My 4" /32mag, 4" /327 mag and my 3"/357 all shoot in the 2-3" group at 25 yards from a rest. My 2 1/4" 9MM would not hit a standard target at that distance and key holed 9MM cast bullets sized .356. I have several Trackers and all of them, when fed what they like will shoot 2-3" at 25 yards -- open sights and 74year old nut on the grip. I have a 627Ti , first one I had seen for sale in the 90's, that will shoot 1.5" groups at 25 with good cast bullet loads . The Ti is a nice gun but I use my SS 627 for stronger loads and preserve the Ti for lighter target loads. I know most calibers , if the bore and chamber mouth sizes are dimensionally correct . I have just received my new 692 -- you guys fault !! It is well made nice bead blasted finish but has a heavy trigger pull . I have a lighter main spring I will try in it

I really enjoyed testing ammo combinations especially when attempting to make power factors and accuracy at 50 yards for NRA Action pistol. Once you had the 50 yard figured out you had confidence at the 25 and closer. 9 out of 10 times the JHP bullets where the most accurate...but hard on the gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts