Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 4" Model 66 (Model HG-M66-B4) which Taurus says was manufactured in 1988, it has the straight numeric serial number.

For years I've had a 3" Satin Nickel Model 66 with the alpha-numeric serial number made in 1993.
I was a bit surprised when I pulled the grips off the new 4" 66 to find that the pins in the grip frame were different than my 3" 66. The 'newer', it's hard to call a 25 year old firearm 'newer', 66 has the common single solid pin in the lower part of the grip frame. The 4" has a hole roughly where the solid pin should be but no pin, instead it has two smaller roll pins on either side of the center hole.

I'd like to find new grips for it but I've never seen this two pin design before.
Is this normal for an older Taurus or did a previous owner modify it somehow?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
FWIW: Taurus went to the two letter/six digit serial number system on its medium-frame revolvers in late 1988.

The "three-pinhole" grip frames were a thing in the 1980s until they completely redesigned the medium-frame revolvers for the transfer bar safety. Numrich has stocks available for the "three-pinhole" frames.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Knocking the pins out with a punch is easy. I've got Hogues on both of my 66s and have had to do that.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
498 Posts
I recently acquired a 4" Model 66 (Model HG-M66-B4) which Taurus says was manufactured in 1988, it has the straight numeric serial number.

For years I've had a 3" Satin Nickel Model 66 with the alpha-numeric serial number made in 1993.
I was a bit surprised when I pulled the grips off the new 4" 66 to find that the pins in the grip frame were different than my 3" 66. The 'newer', it's hard to call a 25 year old firearm 'newer', 66 has the common single solid pin in the lower part of the grip frame. The 4" has a hole roughly where the solid pin should be but no pin, instead it has two smaller roll pins on either side of the center hole.

I'd like to find new grips for it but I've never seen this two pin design before.
Is this normal for an older Taurus or did a previous owner modify it somehow?
Interesting. My recollection (haven't owned it in over a decade) is that my '88 vintage Model 66 had a single roll pin in the base of the grip frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW: Taurus went to the two letter/six digit serial number system on its medium-frame revolvers in late 1988.

The "three-pinhole" grip frames were a thing in the 1980s until they completely redesigned the medium-frame revolvers for the transfer bar safety. Numrich has stocks available for the "three-pinhole" frames.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave, but I found it during a search for info...

I bought an 80's-vintage 6" Model 66 this past weekend, and went to Numrich to peruse spare parts. Trying to determine the difference between the old frame and new frame led me to this thread and the above quote. But my 66 has me confused...

It has a five-digit serial number (no letters) and three pin grip that would seem to indicate early frame...but it also has a transfer bar safety.

Any ideas on whether I have the old or new model? Are there any other differences between the frames?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Knocking the pins out is the one that im doing in my gun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts