Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range last Saturday, First time shooting the model 66 .357 since I bought it, I shot .38 Special and .357 magnum, The problem is, During the process of shooting for the hour, It would tend to jam, I wouldn't be able to cycle to the next bullet, I could eventually fix it by reloading it, i'm not very educated on the mechanics, But I know something cant be right, I did end up shooting around 93 rounds, Just concerns me that it jams, Any help would be nice, Thank you.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The bullet casings may be dragging across the breach face and back strap areas around where the firing pin is. The cylinder could also be binding where the barrel and the cylinder meets called the barrel to cylinder gap. Sometimes the extractor plunger loosens itself and backs itself out. If this happens you would have a hard time opening the cylinder as well. Most new Taurus revolvers are cleaned of packing grease in Miami prior to being sent to your FFL but there could still be some residual grease. Residual grease along with gunpowder residue and tight tolerances can cause binding. A good cleaning couldn't hurt, and I would consider it mandatory. After you clean the gun (If you don't know how to see if someone can recommend a good revolver smith or be prepared to get a decent set of gun-smithing screwdrivers to take the side plate off to clean it), load it with snap caps and see it it cycles well i.e. no binding, cylinder advances (rotates) without slipping etc than most likely your problem is not with the internal mechanisms. If you can cycle it normally, after cleaning it, with snap caps take it to the range. I usually bring a little bottle of gun oil and a wiping cloth to the range and after about 4-5 cylinders oil and wipe the breach face and back strap areas and wipe of the ejector let the gun cool down a little. If it continues to bind even after the oil, wipe and cool protocol I would give Taurus a call. They may have to adjust the tolerances. Most Taurus revolvers come with very tight tolerances which sometimes can be shot out, meaning enough rounds and things wear in on their own, however, if the problem exacerbates instead of improving let Taurus handle it.

Good Luck

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If the malfunctions occurred during the middle or towards the end of the firing sessions, I'd say spent powder residue and debris are the culprits. You probably need to clean the gun with GunBlaster or some other cleaning product to prevent the buildup which is causing the malfunctions.

If the malfunctions are occurring througout the entire firing session (from the first to the last), I'd contact Taurus about the matter.

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
If you shot 50 rounds of 38 special through the 66 first and then began to have problems shooting .357 cartridges next, it may be that the residue left from the .38 special is not allowing the longer .357 cartridges to fully seat in the chambers of the cylinder and they are rubbing the blast shield, particularly if you were shooting lead bullets. This is just a possibility. A little more information as to what type of bullets you shot first, caliber, bullet type (fmj, lead round nose or wadcutter etc) factory or reloads might help diagnose the problem.

Reactions: JCP

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you shot 50 rounds of 38 special through the 66 first and then began to have problems shooting .357 cartridges next, it may be that the residue left from the .38 special is not allowing the longer .357 cartridges to fully seat in the chambers of the cylinder and they are rubbing the blast shield, particularly if you were shooting lead bullets. This is just a possibility. A little more information as to what type of bullets you shot first, caliber, bullet type (fmj, lead round nose or wadcutter etc) factory or reloads might help diagnose the problem.
Winchester white box 38 special fmj, and 357 mag hp, i think im gonna try an tear it down and clean it, i just talked to the gun shop i bought it from, he said it might be the primer, im gonna clean it and also take it to him see what he has to say.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
problem is fixed, ya learn something everyday, it ended up being faulty ammo from Winchester, that's what the owner of the gun shop I go to said, never would of thunk it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Did you test that theory at the range yet? That would be a great fix indeed!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
My first guess would have been crud under the extractor star. Dirt, unburned powder granules, that kind of stuff.

Flash

1 - 9 of 9 Posts