Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to adjust the hammer spring down for a lighter trigger pull but I cannot figure out how. This is the older model without the notch at the base of the main spring centre pin and the owners manual currently on Taurus USA refers to the "new" model.

Anyone with know-how with old model here?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't believe your model revolver (Old Model 66); has an adjustable hammer spring. Looking at the Numrich schematics, https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/taurus/revolvers-tau/66-old-model?page=4 it shows the adjustable parts, but when you look at the corresponding parts, it shows a single bushing (#39) and no #43, which is the norm in many older Taurus revolvers. It should be noted that many of the schematics cover several models, that often have indivual differences. If you look at the schematic for the Model 761 https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/taurus/revolvers-tau/761?page=4, which also show the adjustable parts, the part numbers do correspond with the adjustable trigger parts, #39 Mainspring Adjustable bushing and #43 Mainspring fixed Bushing (I believe one threads into the other). I guess there is a possibility the Model 761 parts could fit for Model 66 trigger adjustable, but you would have to buy the parts and see if the work/ fit or not.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I am trying to adjust the hammer spring down for a lighter trigger pull but I cannot figure out how. This is the older model without the notch at the base of the main spring centre pin and the owners manual currently on Taurus USA refers to the "new" model.

Anyone with know-how with old model here?
Check with Wolffe. I'd trust their springs over any adjustable method. Even if you replace the factory hammer spring with the same weight Wolffe Spring you'll notice a change for the better. I take a similar approach with all revolvers that use coil springs. It's a bit harder for them to deliver the same fast lock-time as a leaf spring, so I don't particularly want to reduce the weight.

If you plan to carry the M66, I'm guessing you want to shoot it better/easier in DA mode. The best way I know of to reduce trigger pull weight is to replace the trigger return spring and I start there. Be aware though, that you can go too light if you get their calibration pacs with reduced weight springs. Get a calibration pac for the hammer spring and use the factory weight rating with the next lower trigger return spring. Can't remember them off the top of my head, but I just did some work on my GP100 that also has coil springs. Try shooting that way for a while, give the springs time to settle in before you make the decision to go lighter. Then if you do, go to the next lower weight of hammer spring. One reason you'll like getting the calibration pacs. It should still give the hammer plenty of force to ignite primers in DA mode. But that needs to be confirmed by plenty of shooting.

I've been away from DA revolvers too long and I'm really looking forward to using them again. The factory spring weights for the GP100 are 14# for the hammer and 12# for the trigger return. I replaced the factory hammer spring with the same 14# weight Wolffe and dropped to a 10# trigger return spring. This suits me perfectly. I'm not trying to get a PPC trigger action with a Combat Carry .357. Weight is a matter of preference and I really didn't expect to get a trigger as good with a GP100. I actually preferred the triggers with modifications (Wolffe Springs) of the SIX series. But an offer came my way for a 4.2" blue GP100 that I just couldn't pass up, and now I'm very glad that I didn't. It's now probably the best trigger DA and SA that I've ever had from a Ruger DA revolver and I had fired a number of different GP100s previously that just didn't float my boat.

Wolffe springs are wonderful things, and they're higher quality than the springs gunmakers buy by the gross.;)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I'll echo 57K's advice. Wolff springs are the way to go. Compare your revolvers springs to the one in the photos to see if they are compatable.

https://www.gunsprings.com/TAURUS/LARGE%20FRAME%20REVOLVER/cID3/mID65/dID289

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.midwayusa.com/product/118040/wolff-shooters-spring-pack-taurus-44-45-65-66-669-689-80-82-83-431-441-445-606-607-608-617-631-raging-bull

[/FONT]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Yes, I just installed new Wolff springs and it's made a huge difference to the trigger. Much smoother but even with a 10lb spring, it's still a little heavy for fast accurate shots in matches. I think the only way to tweak the trigger pull is to either remove a couple of coils or file down the coils. The consensus on the IPSC Revolver Facebook group is to file the coils.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes, I just installed new Wolff springs and it's made a huge difference to the trigger. Much smoother but even with a 10lb spring, it's still a little heavy for fast accurate shots in matches. I think the only way to tweak the trigger pull is to either remove a couple of coils or file down the coils. The consensus on the IPSC Revolver Facebook group is to file the coils.
Not sure which spring you're referring to? A 10# hammer spring would be pretty light, and there should have been an 8# option for the trigger return spring if you need to go lighter than 10#.;)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Just checked the Wollfe site and it appears that I made an error. 10# is the lightest they show for the trigger return spring and they list factory weight at 15#. Should be quite a difference. I would try shooting it a while to see if it improves. And when you're talking to other shooters, I suspect that it's the newer crowd that wants to cut coils. Talk to some guys with greater revolver experience and see what they have to say. Another option after you've fired it with the 10# TR spring for a while would be to go to the next lower weight Wolffe Hammer Spring. It should still provide enough force to reliably ignite primers in DA, particularly if this is all about having an IPSC Revolver. Maybe even the second lower. Just get the calibration pac.

And lastly, and I haven't had a chance to say this in a while: G'day Mate!;)

Reactions: Sydneywizard

·
Registered
159 Posts
Keep in mind you have already reduced the reliability, and reducing the spring weights anymore may be counter productive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"And lastly, and I haven't had a chance to say this in a while: G'day Mate!
"

And G'day to you too cobber! (You'll have to look that up 57K)

As I got Wolff's Shooter's Pak, I have 3 hammer springs to work with, so I can afford to "play around" with them until I'll find that sweet spot between speed/accuracy and reliability. Worse come to worse, I'll order another set of springs. It would be a shame though if I can't get it to be match competitive. I might have to go to the dark side (S&W) :D.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just installed Wolff reduced hammer and trigger springs in my model 970 in 22lr. Went with the heaviest hammer spring - 12 pounds, as the 11 pound spring resulted in failures to fire. No failures to fire with the 12 pound spring.

I also installed the lightest trigger spring in the Wolff kit - 10 pounds - which reduced the trigger break from a stiff 5.5 pounds to 3.75 pounds. However, I wanted a trigger break of about 3 pounds. Since springs are cheap enough, I decided to experiment: I cut 3 coils off the trigger spring. And there she was - a 3 pound break that, with use, settled in at 2.75 pounds with sufficient return tension.

Just FYI...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I also installed the lightest trigger spring in the Wolff kit - 10 pounds - which reduced the trigger break from a stiff 5.5 pounds to 3.75 pounds. However, I wanted a trigger break of about 3 pounds. Since springs are cheap enough, I decided to experiment: I cut 3 coils off the trigger spring. And there she was - a 3 pound break that, with use, settled in at 2.75 pounds with sufficient return tension.
Interesting. The information I received was to trim the hammer spring but you trimmed the trigger spring. I'll give it a crack when I get home today.

UPDATE: I only trimmed 1 coil off the trigger spring and it's a lot closer to where I want it. It's come down from a pull of 9lbs to just a tad over 7lbs. I won't take any more off until I test fire the gun and make sure that it's still reliable. I am using Federal primers, so ignition shouldn't be a problem. Cheers all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts