Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a model 66. Shoots great in single action, but misses a round in double action. Not every cylinder, only one round. The round has light primer strike. Weak spring?

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum. :wave:

As to your question about the M66, I'd suggest giving Taurus warranty service a call. If it has to be sent in for repairs, Taurus is great about standing behind their products. :thumb:

Reactions: Danno59

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently purchased a model 66. Shoots great in single action, but misses a round in double action. Not every cylinder, only one round. The round has light primer strike. Weak spring?

Any ideas?

Thanks
There is some history to Taurus revolvers having some light primer strikes, the fix depends on the actual issue with that gun.

Have you tried a different brand of ammo? Same results? Are these factory loads or hand loads?

·
Registered
36,105 Posts
Any ideas?
Thanks
I would highly doubt that If its only misfiring on one cylinder that the spring would be the culprit.
Same with the ammo, not just on one cylinder unless you have amazingly bad luck.
in any case theres no way that I would want a handgun that was that sensitive to primer hardness if that was the case, send it home to Miami.

Reactions: .452dia

·
Registered
12,089 Posts

Welcome to the forum and the Taurus family from NJ !

New Jersey.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would highly doubt that If its only misfiring on one cylinder that the spring would be the culprit.
Same with the ammo, not just on one cylinder unless you have amazingly bad luck.
in any case theres no way that I would want a handgun that was that sensitive to primer hardness if that was the case, send it home to Miami.
I took it he meant out of a full cylinder, a random one who not fire, but I didn't catch he meant the same chamber each time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Made the mistake of telling them i shot reloads in the gun. automatic void of warranty. So I will take it to my local smith.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine"state.

State of "1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

It could be a weak main spring or defective primers in your ammo or both.

·
Registered
31,767 Posts

Any ideas?

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. You might try removing the firing pin and making sure the firing pin rebound spring is not broken and the firing pin channel is clean. Is it a used or new M66.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
How does it preform now? Emm I was thinking maybe the notch coinciding with the cylinder chamber that was light striking was machined slightly off causing the firing pin to fall off center on the primer. This would explain the chamber locking up correctly but still light striking. Another way to check this would be cylinder bore to barrel alignment during lock up for the bore that was light striking. Check to see if they also chamfered the forcing cone, when it was at Taurus, that would point towards cylinder bore misalignment. A bad firing pin, or spring would cause light strike issues with more than one cylinder. Seems more of a cylinder issue than firing pin, but hay if it works now as they say "forgedaboutit".

Range Report if Possible!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,883 Posts
Got it back from Taurus, they replaced the firing pin. turn around in less than 30 days.
What did they say they fixed?

Welcome to the Forum.jpg

Neighbor

SW Ks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts