Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for a year now. I bought a new model 66 .357 last January at Cabelas and have had a few issues while at the range. I perused this huge resource and learned how to clean the weapon correctly but alas it still did not like to shoot any .357. It would spit out .38 all day long but would lock up with anything .357.

Well, I sent it back in on Dec 29 (Taurus' dime) and received a letter indicating 2 weeks to fix . I called yesterday and the CSR informed that it is in front of the review board. The CSR couldn't offer a time frame but hey, I did get listen to Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" and other patriotic songs strategically placed there to keep us ******** from going ballistic while on hold. I searched and now see that they may require the new gun (should I get one) go to a FFL dealer instead of directly to me. My questions are...

Has anyone had the review board decide to fix it instead of replacing?

Will they handle the transfer fee?

Should I have Cabelas do it or a local dealer? I have never had to go thru this before.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Keith

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Has anyone had the review board decide to fix it instead of replacing?

This is really good, usually you have to ask for it to go for review, that is a strong sign that they are considering replacement.

Will they handle the transfer fee?

Probably no

Should I have Cabelas do it or a local dealer? I have never had to go thru this before. Local dealer.

If they replace it call Taurus CS and see if they have a relationship with a dealer(s) near you. Then cost them out (call them). You can leverage the dealer saying I have called around and this is the best quote I can get, if you guys take care of me I will make you my primary FFL and I buy lots of guns, ammo and gear. I got mine down to $15 and I have actually bought more product through that FFL since the transfer so; win, win.

Keith
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
My experience with the Review Board may not match yours, but they fixed my 669, after more than a few trips to Miami.

It is now a very fine, desirable gun. I love it more with each range-trip. But it took patience and perseverance and a good deal of travel to get there - IMHO, it was worth the effort.

Flash

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA.... Yeah, send 'er in get 'er fixed.

1.1 USA.gif

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

I've had one replaced by them and they pay shipping, but you pay the transfer fee. I got lucky and my LGS didn't charge me for it and I didn't even buy it from them. I do buy a lot of amoo from them though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I'll keep ya posted!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Has anyone had the review board decide to fix it instead of replacing? No, they replaced the only gun I've ever had to send back to CS.

Will they handle the transfer fee? NO, at least in my case the didn't.

Should I have Cabelas do it or a local dealer? I have never had to go thru this before. Either way you will be required to pay a FFL transfer fee.

Keith
Wishing you good luck on a favorable outcome!

Harry

PS: Welcome to the great fraternity of Taurus handgun owners!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I spoke with CS and they confirmed that my revolver is going to be replaced. I have contacted a FFL holder and we'll see how this saga ends.

I am excited as I didn't inspect the gun the first time all that well (hindsight is definitely 20/20) and once I got it home I realized that it had deep grind marks on the underlug that were readily apparent.

Looks like I get a do-over. Yeah me!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I agree, inspect it thoroughly prior to accepting it! Taurus has been cleaning revolvers of packing grease prior to shipping, so it should be safe to test fire. See if the FFL has a range and if you can test fire it. Sometimes that is the only way to tell. If you accept it, still clean it thoroughly when young get it home.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now we are playing the "we never received the ffl license game" - ugh. My gunsmith has indicated he has faxed the form as requested. The CSR did state that my old 66 has been destroyed though.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Now we are playing the "we never received the ffl license game" - ugh. My gunsmith has indicated he has faxed the form as requested. The CSR did state that my old 66 has been destroyed though.
The same thing happened during the process of my TCP being replaced.

Just go ahead and get your FFL dealer to fax Taurus the info they need, and the process will kick back into gear.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Fax is going into never never land! I hate that, but it does happen. I would suggest that the FFL use a cover letter that links your name, etc to avoid the problem?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hope you get a more obedient revo this time that will not need to go before the board. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update- Fed Ex reports it is at the dealer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts