Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unusual Taurus model 650 revolver - it has a 3" barrel! I wanted to see if anybody knew anything about the 3" model. It came that way from the factory and there is a label on the box it came in that says the barrel is 3". At first I thought it might have been a manufacturing error as the barrel extends beyond the frame. I know this model is discontinued but wonder if the longer barrel gives it some value as a collectors item. I am considering selling it or trading it in.
Font Temperature Publication Electronic device Cylinder
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good morning and welcome to the forum!

3" barrels like that pop up here occasionally. They're a mistake, the factory should've cut and crowned the barrel after importing them, but they forgot to. Some get released into the wild. They're an interesting artifact, but usually not any kind of collector's item or increased value.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning and welcome to the forum!

3" barrels like that pop up here occasionally. They're a mistake, the factory should've cut and crowned the barrel after importing them, but they forgot to. Some get released into the wild. They're an interesting artifact, but usually not any kind of collector's item or increased value.
Thanks for the reply. If it was a mistake, why did the factory label it as a 3" barrel? I would still like to trade in this revolver for something like the 856 or the 692 if I can find a dealer that will do the deal. So far I have had not much luck.

·
Registered
Guns? What guns?
468 Posts
I believe they were made like that and labeled 3" so they could be imported.

Reactions: Zack856

·
Registered
G3C T.O.R.O.
553 Posts
Welcome to the forum, that's a nice gun you have. Trade-ins right now are brutal; you'll get less than half price. Wait for a gun show, or just keep it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for the reply. If it was a mistake, why did the factory label it as a 3" barrel? I would still like to trade in this revolver for something like the 856 or the 692 if I can find a dealer that will do the deal. So far I have had not much luck.
Mines labeled 856 2+1. They just put the correct sticker on after the work is done. Mine was never cut or crowned so it still says 2+1 just like yours still says 3". I paid $40 over the going rate at auction so there's not many oddball Taurus collectors.

·
Registered
520 Posts
To be imported to the US it has to have a 3" barrel due to the GCA of 1968. Taurus then cuts the barrel down to 2" and puts them out on the US market. They never did that to yours, so it's still marked as a 3" barrel. Like I said, it happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be imported to the US it has to have a 3" barrel due to the GCA of 1968. Taurus then cuts the barrel down to 2" and puts them out on the US market. They never did that to yours, so it's still marked as a 3" barrel. Like I said, it happens.
Thanks for the explanation. Crazy laws and the way manufacturers get around them!

·
Super Moderator
41,002 Posts
If you really want a 2" barrel , maybe contact Taurus and they'll cut it down for you just for the cost of shipping it one way.

Reactions: bigC
1 - 10 of 10 Posts