Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Krylon black Taurus Model 65 two years ago. I have fire about 1500 rounds through it and just replaced the barrel. One issue I noticed from the beginning was gun would not reliably ignite magnum primers when shooting DA; I read this was normal. Anyway, recently I've noticed numerous light primer strikes with standard primers. I cleaned the firing pin area, which was dirty, and it mitigated the problem, but I was still experiencing 4-5 light strike out of 50 rounds DA/SA (I also had a box of 357mag rounds I had given some extra attention to seating the primers and the gun even SA would not ignite any of the primers, even though it left what appeared to be a cavity that looks like it should have set it off). I got to thinking I should replace the firing pin spring, but discovered the only springs available were reduced power from Wolff (getting OEM parts for a newer Taurus requires a call to Taurus customer service where I have had both good and bad experiences). Anyway, my next idea was to place a small washer under the spring (my past experiences doing this has shown me that even a very thin washer can make a big difference). Anyway, I found a small thin washer (I think it was from a pop-rivet set) and put it under the hammer spring. The result was phenomenal. With only a small increase in the DA trigger weight, the gun now not only ignites the regular primes reliably, but also the primers I had double set and a handle full of rounds with mag primers, both DA. All I can think of is it appears the weight of the hammer spring was just a a little too light to be reliable; possibly even with a new spring.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts