Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a Model 62 rimfire rifle. My brother tried to fire it and it ejected all the shells unfired. He said he heard something about a key. Do these models require a key to fire? and where do I get one. Lookup says it was manufactured in 2000.

Steve

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
First thing is to say I know zip about the rifle! Is it the pump action rifle. I have been looking at some photos online, sweet looking little rifle!

Take a look at the base of the hammer. Is there what looks to be a hex wrench bolt with a raised center there? I did see a couple photos that show that. I would just contact Taurus through the chat feature from their website. I would give you a key but I'm down to my last 1 or 2. Scroll down to the bottom right for the chat feature. Usually works better than calling them.
https://www.taurususa.com/index.cfm

Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun Trigger

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see the hex screw at the base of the hammer. So this means there is a key needed? Where does the key go?

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I have a Winchester Model 62A and it does not need a key to make it fire. Other than the firing pin, I don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I see the hex screw at the base of the hammer. So this means there is a key needed? Where does the key go?
Yes you need a key. I am assuming the lock is not broken in some way and a key will work to unlock it.

In that hole. You can't use a regular hex key. I think this type of bolt is called a safety bolt or a tamper proof bolt. The hex wrench needs to be hollow in the center to go over the stub in the middle of the bolt head. Hope that explanation makes sense. Like I said before, contact Taurus through their chat feature and explain to them you bought the gun used but it did not come with a lock key. I would hope they would send you one for free or maybe just a couple bucks to cover postage.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have a Winchester Model 62A and it does not need a key to make it fire. Other than the firing pin, I don't know what to tell you.
Divebum, I'm just curious, does your 62A have the hex head bolt at the base of the hammer like the one in the photo I provided? Isn't that the Taurus locking system? As I stated in my first post I know zip about the gun, just basing my thoughts on what I see in the photos.

Ok now I'm confused! :) I see you said you have a Winchester 62A. I did assume the OP has a Taurus model 62, if they make such a model, since he is asking here. I looked at his post again and he doesn't specify a brand. Plus he does say he sees the hex bolt at the base of the hammer like in the photo I provided. Hopefully the OP will be along soon to tell us what brand gun it is.

I hope I'm not muddying the waters in trying to help the guy.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The Winchester does not have the key safety lock Taurus uses. There is also a safety feature built into the guns that does not allow the firing pin to hit the rim if bolt is not fully closed. It is on front left of both Winchester and Taurus. A gunsmith that understands the Winchester lock work can check it out. Taurus metal is not as hard as the old Winchester. Have a Taurus in my shop that needs to be built up with tig welder and reshaped. Not high on the to do list because the gun was cheap. Original owner said factory told him it couldn't be fixed? I traded for it as a favor to friend. Will eventually fix it. Good luck if that is the problem, a real pain to fix but can be. Rossi built the little rifles. The first Rossi guns did not have key lock or manual safety.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts