Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you probably have seen these 1000 times...but I could not find any good pictures. So I figured I'd share.
Either of these is easily concealed and control recoil very well from my experience. First is Taurus combat grip available from their customer service.
IMAG0085.jpg

Next is the Pachmayr compac grip TR-C
IMAG0088.jpg
IMAG0090.jpg
IMAG0089.jpg

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and the costs are reasonable: $9.00 for Taurus combat grip and around $25.00 for Pachmayr. Taurus fits all fingers but is narrow. Pachmayr is shorter but wider and feels great in the hand.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics and info with us.

I have the Taurus combat grips on my M85 .38 Special, and am very pleased with them.

Reactions: dogchild and righty

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, thanks for the pictures. I have the Taurus Combat grips on my 605 and revolver also came with the faux pearl looking short grip. But I now fancy the Pachmayr grips you showed us. Now for the fun part of searching for the cheapest price!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Badge's pictures are better than mine! Lol

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Someone needs to add a picture with Hogues.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same holster! I guess you tried all the grip options, eh!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I have the same holster! I guess you tried all the grip options, eh!
I don't particularly care for the Hogue® grips. For the women in my life however, wife, daughter, and DIL; the Hogue®'s provided the best fit.

I really liked the feel of the boot grips that came with the gun. So I decided to try the
Taurus® Combat grips. My thinking was I would have a fuller purchase of the grip, and room for my pinky finger. The boot grip width at it's widest point is 1.220", the combat grip's width is identical. The thickness of the grip portion covering the back strap however, was 0.279" for the boot grip; but only 0.213" for the combat grip. Believe it or not, that 0.066" difference was huge for me. Even though I had to tuck my pinky finger under the boot grip; it absorbed recoil far better than the combat grip.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
As you can see there are several options. They all are different. It may take several to figure out what works best for you. I have a box full of holsters, and another with grips. Eventually you'll get it dialed in. Good luck!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I liked the combat grips, but you are correct, they should be a tad wider. I have big hands. I decided to get the Pachmayr compac grips because of their reputation on this site. They are not as long as the combat grips but have a nice width to them. Even though they are shorter, they fit my hand like a glove. Now they are my favorite. Didn't like the rounded backstrap on the hogue, so I didn't try them. With the compac grips, I don't get any hand ache; can shoot .38+p all day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank God I live in Vermont. Just getting into the sport of handguns... and could use some advice. Have had a Browning Buckmark .22 for 20 years... love it... sweet, accurate, comfortable & afforadle, but won't stop an intruder (as quickly as I would like).. So I just purchased a Taurus 605 .357 :) Problem is I have large hands... and the basic grips do not fit my hand... I would like a grip that is longer & fatter, but fatter is more important. After only 50 rounds of 357 158 grain JSP, and about the same of .38 138 grain FMJ rounds, I had a dime-sized open blister on the inside of my thumb from a friction-burn resulting from the kick ((the 38's only irritated it... the 357's created it!) There is a lot of slop in the grip. I have read your posts about the Hogue Vs. Pachmyr, but have not been able to tell which i spreferable for my situation. BTW... the 605 is a hell of a reasonably priced revolver. Got mine for $250, new! Thanks for any input!

... and please, no more Obama, Lehey, Sanders, Pelosi, etc......

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Thank God I live in Vermont. Just getting into the sport of handguns... and could use some advice. Have had a Browning Buckmark .22 for 20 years... love it... sweet, accurate, comfortable & afforadle, but won't stop an intruder (as quickly as I would like).. So I just purchased a Taurus 605 .357 :) Problem is I have large hands... and the basic grips do not fit my hand... I would like a grip that is longer & fatter, but fatter is more important. After only 50 rounds of 357 158 grain JSP, and about the same of .38 138 grain FMJ rounds, I had a dime-sized open blister on the inside of my thumb from a friction-burn resulting from the kick ((the 38's only irritated it... the 357's created it!) There is a lot of slop in the grip. I have read your posts about the Hogue Vs. Pachmyr, but have not been able to tell which is preferable for my situation. BTW... the 605 is a hell of a reasonably priced revolver. Got mine for $250, new! Thanks for any input!

... and please, no more Obama, Lehey, Sanders, Pelosi, etc......
As I have a 605SS2 and a 605SS3, along with both the Hogue® and Pachmayr® grips; I feel I can provide you with a qualified answer & hopefully point you in the right direction. Dimensions of the grips, when mounted on the gun; are..........
• Houge®: 3.840" Tall, 1.805" Wide, and 1.200" Thick
• Pachmayr®: 3.616" Tall, 1.850" Wide, and 1.225" Thick

The Hogue® grips DO NOT COVER THE BACKSTRAP! The Pachmayr®'s OTOH DO COVER THE BACKSTRAP; and
are "fatter". From over 40 years of 357 Magnum revolver shooting I recommend you get the Pachmayr® grips. The Pachmayr®'s will handle the recoil of the harshest loadings; to include the Buffalo Bore® 180gr FRN!

Lastly I can recommend the following as a carry load for your 605, it is what I use in mine..........
Magtech® Guardian Gold™ 357 Magnum 125 Grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave is right on! Go with the Pachmayr grip. You will not be disappointed. .357 loads are a lot easier with them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have many grips for my Taurus revolvers, small frames, and each time I get a new grip, think its gonna be the "perfect" one.

Haven't found that "perfect" grip yet, all are compromises...

Have tried the stock rubber boot grip that came with my pistols, its okay, small and the material is not too soft...just not shaped just right for me. I can use it however.
Have tried the wooden "Banana" grip offered some years ago...shape okay, but even after I stippled the grip, too slick.
Have tried the stock Old Style wooden grips with checkering, okay, but don't really like them.
Have tried Hogues......too sticky, once the pistol was pulled out of the holster when the grip grabbed my shirt....hit the carpeted floor.....
Have tried the Pachmyers...like the Hogues, the material sure softens recoil, but is just too grabby for my concealed carry needs.

So you wonder what I use?
This suits me best...Old style skinny Taurus "J" frame type grips with a BG grip adapter. The shape fits my hand super, my only complaint is its a little slick.
The recoil rolls in my hand, instead of kicking back, you can't shoot loosely, of course.

Am ordering some Altamont grips for my M327 soon, anxious to try those out.

Good luck with your choice, the choices are slim for the small frame Taurus pistols, as I have found.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I have many grips for my Taurus revolvers, small frames, and each time I get a new grip, think its gonna be the "perfect" one.

Haven't found that "perfect" grip yet, all are compromises...

Have tried the stock rubber boot grip that came with my pistols, its okay, small and the material is not too soft...just not shaped just right for me. I can use it however.
Have tried the wooden "Banana" grip offered some years ago...shape okay, but even after I stippled the grip, too slick.
Have tried the stock Old Style wooden grips with checkering, okay, but don't really like them.
Have tried Hogues......too sticky, once the pistol was pulled out of the holster when the grip grabbed my shirt....hit the carpeted floor.....
Have tried the Pachmyers...like the Hogues, the material sure softens recoil, but is just too grabby for my concealed carry needs.

So you wonder what I use?
This suits me best...Old style skinny Taurus "J" frame type grips with a BG grip adapter. The shape fits my hand super, my only complaint is its a little slick.
The recoil rolls in my hand, instead of kicking back, you can't shoot loosely, of course.

Am ordering some Altamont grips for my M327 soon, anxious to try those out.

Good luck with your choice, the choices are slim for the small frame Taurus pistols, as I have found.
If I may inquire what is a BG grip adapter, is it like a Tyler T-Grip?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, instead of being made from aluminum, it's made from polymer, and is exact copy of the Tyler-T grip.

Also it has an extra copper tab for better stability, a member in the S&W forum began making them when the Tyler-T grips stopped being made. Since then the Tyler- T grip has resumed production, but the BG adapter has gained a following.

Turns out there was a big cult fan base of that grip adapter.

Let me see if I can find BG info.

My mistake , it's BK grip adapters, not BG. Here is the link.

http://bkgrips.com/

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Great choice on the Pachmayr grips. IMHO, they are hard to beat. The Taurus ones are pretty good for the money (tried a pair on my 851), but the Pachmayr set I had on my Colt DS were fantastic. Congrats and happy shooting! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I have a 605SS2 and a 605SS3, along with both the Hogue® and Pachmayr® grips; I feel I can provide you with a qualified answer & hopefully point you in the right direction. Dimensions of the grips, when mounted on the gun; are..........
• Houge®: 3.840" Tall, 1.805" Wide, and 1.200" Thick
• Pachmayr®: 3.616" Tall, 1.850" Wide, and 1.225" Thick

The Hogue® grips DO NOT COVER THE BACKSTRAP! The Pachmayr®'s OTOH DO COVER THE BACKSTRAP; and
are "fatter". From over 40 years of 357 Magnum revolver shooting I recommend you get the Pachmayr® grips. The Pachmayr®'s will handle the recoil of the harshest loadings; to include the Buffalo Bore® 180gr FRN!

Lastly I can recommend the following as a carry load for your 605, it is what I use in mine..........
Magtech® Guardian Gold™ 357 Magnum 125 Grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point

Thank you David, and on this Memorial Day, THANK YOU, AND ALL OF THE MEN & WOMEN IN OUR ARMED FORCES FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I am looking into the Pachmyer grips. God Bless, and good hunting!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts