Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 605 SH2, which is a 16-ounce titanium 357/38 5-shot J-frame clone, has one sticky chamber. After firing, when I push the extraction rod the fired cases only come about 2/3 of the way out of the cylinder. Sometimes a second push will free them and if I manually pull the sticky case, the extractor rod will push them out. Unfired cases come out easily with one push. I don't have an inside mic but all of the unfired rounds feel free and about the same fit. It also happens with 38 Spl +P rounds and brand of ammo doesn't make any difference. I can't see any roughness in any of the chambers but maybe I should try polishing them. Anybody got any ideas about polishing a titanium cylinder? (The barrel is lined with steel but the cylinder is titanium,) Any ideas would be appreciated.

BTW: I just got a 357 Rossi Ranch Hand as a complement to this 357. I almost got the 44 mag version but I have this Taurus 357. Also, the ammo's a lot cheaper than 44 and it'll be a hoot to shoot.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If I were you, I'd contact Taurus warranty service about this matter. If the gun is less than a year old, they will (at their expense) send a FedEx courier by to pick the gun up and ship it overnight to Miami.

I'll just bet they could take care of your issue in very short order and have it back to you in a relatively short time.

Recently, I had to return my Judge Ultralight for a minor repair and they got the gun back to me on the 14th day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I've been putting up with this for over a year. I think that Taurus has a lifetime warranty but I don't think that they'll pay to pick it up. I would like to fix it but guns are expensive to ship. Maybe if I send Taurus an explanatory letter they'd pay for it. I bought it new but that was over a year ago. I like the gun and the sticky chamber is no problem target shooting. It just makes reloading a little slower. If I ever need it in defense...I don't think that speed loading is the answer anyway. If I'm in a situation that I can't solve in 5 rounds; I'll run, duck, jump behind something or kiss my butt goodbye. I'm 75 years old and I'm really not worried about very much

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I shipped a TCP back to them last year, and it cost me less than $12.00 standard ground shipping at UPS.

I'm with you, on the "...If I'm in a situation that I can't solve in 5 rounds; I'll run, duck, jump behind something or kiss my butt goodbye..." :D

My little 605 matte stainless .357 kicks like nine mules and therefore really packs a punch...and if it won't deter the threat, nothing will.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Is your 605 relatively new? Make sure you are not shooting light light grain .357 in your titanium revolver. Per the manual .357 Magnum cartridges with bullet weights of less than 125 grains have resulted in cylinder face erosion and should not be utilized in your Total Titanium revolver. Are you shooting 357 ammo and/or 38 during your range sessions? Which one binds? You should shoot your .357 first. Since the .38's are shorter they will create a ring of crud in the cylinder bore that could cause the .357 to bind if you shoot them after the .38's. How are you cleaning the gun? Regularly? I am not familiar with polishing cylinders but maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
A sticky chamber can be remedied with a hone from Brownell's.

Before that, though, check and make sure that the extractor star hasn't got a burr at that chamber.

The hones work FAST. Always take your time. It's relatively easy to remove metal, but it's a real PIA to try to put it back in. Always use the approved cutting fluid, as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! The gun is less than 2 years old. If I can ship to Taurus for 12 bucks that's what I'll do. BTW: I never shoot anything less than 125 grains in it. Mostly it's seen just full-house 357s and some +p 38 specials. I got the +P stuff for my wife but she does fine with the 357s. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Could just be a slight imperfection / burr in that one cly that after the brass expands on firing it's just enough to make that on hang up a bit I'd wrap some real fine emery paper on a brush and polish out that sticky chamberl then finish it with a fine polish like flitz ,it takes very litte to cause such a problem . JMHO ~~RR~~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts