Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I just picked up a Taurus 460 Tracker this evening. The trigger could use some work, but the cylinder locks up like a vault. All in all, I'm a pretty happy camper. I used to own a 455 and still had a few of the stellar clips laying in the drawer. I topped one of the clips off with 5 snap caps, and to my surprise, they dropped right in to the cylinder. I dry fired the revolver a few times and it functioned fine.
So, my question is,
Is this normal for 460 revolvers? Can this fire 45acp the way that the S&W Governor can? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I just read a post regarding this. I believe OldRedneck was making the point that this should work but I have no first hand experience. I need to check the rim thickness on .45 Colt, I have some .45 AutoRim laying around that may not get shot through my S&W M625. Not sure where we stand on the difference in pressures either, I don't suppose it's an issue since they make a .45ACP revolver too.

Did you end up getting the 4" or 6.5" model?

Coop

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a search and couldn't find any threads dealing with this. I did find some regarding the Judge, but I don't know if the Judge and Tracker cylinders are different widths. I picked up the 4" model. I was very happy to see that it is an actual 4" barrel compared to the 5 inches of barrel and and inch of expansion chamber on my old 6" 455. I doubt AR would work, the rims are just too thick. I really only have two concerns. The first is pressure. While I know that the SAAMI specs for 45 Colt are limited to what an 1873 Colt can safely fire, I'm certain that my tracker has stronger steel. My other concern is the "ledge" inside the chambers that headspace the 45 Colt round. When I was looking at a Governor, I noticed the same, so I assume it shouldn't be an issue, as the Governor is designed to shoot 45 acp. I know that 45 Colt S&W's that are chambered in 45 Colt can safely shoot 45acp, I was just wondering if it works for Taurus as well.

·
Registered
880 Posts
did anyone find a definitive answer to this question?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts