Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have opinions or experience with it ? Been looking at one with a 3 inch barrel , its blue but am inclined to hold out for a stainless model. Is there holsters available ? What information you all have will be appreciated .

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
35,011 Posts
The only thing I can think of that could be useful with .410 is snakes at very close range and how often do you worry about that? Even down at my place where snakes abound, I've shot maybe a half dozen since I bought the place in '88 and every one was shot with a single bullet from a handgun, not a shot shell. A snake head ain't hard to hit at 10 feet. ::) I'd never use shot loads for self defense.

I have a .410/.45 Colt Contender. That one has a screw on choke that has straight rifling to stop the spin of the shot charge. Still, the effective range on small game is maybe 20-25 yards. It's a neat barrel to play with, but has little practical use. The revolver loaded with .45 colt Winchester silvertips would be an EXCELLENT self defense gun, but you don't need that long cylinder. That would compromise accuracy anyway with the .45 round and, of course, it takes the gun out of the realm of pocket sized.

JMHO, though. You might find it the cat's meow, but I really see no use I could possibly have for one. Anything I might could do with that weapon, I can do with my CCW guns and I'll always have one of them on me. That thing is a little large.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been reasearching .410 since I bought a Stoeger O/U. The key in my mind is the relatively new 3-inch 000, 5-pellet shell, which I have patterned. I think this shell would be great for HD - in my Stoeger it gives 5 nice 9mm holes about 10 inches wide at 10 yards. Taurus announced at the 2007 Shot Show a new model that will take the 3" shell (all earlier models limited to 2 1/2" shell). Further search found that Taurus doesn't expect to begin delivery of these new models until late 2007.

It is this new model with 3" shell capacity that I think will find a useful place in home defense. Five shots of this shell within a home scenario should provide excellent defensive capability. And in a revolver configuration instead of a long-gun, the new Taurus should be better handable in close quarters.

And how about car-jack defense? I'm going to find a local Taurus dealer and try to buy an early delivery. If I'm successful, I'll post info here.

·
Super Moderator
35,011 Posts
For any self defense scenario I can think of, I trust my .38 or my pocket 9mm to do the job, including car jacking, though that's not a real concern of mine since I live 120 miles from a major city and am on a motorcycle most of the time anyway. In that vid, if I couldn't hit that BG at that range with one shot to the eyes with my .38, I'd not carry because of lack of skills. JMHO, though. Also, remember, the .410 is going to lose some juice out of such a short barrel. Shotguns are quite barrel efficient and attain most of their velocity out of 18 inches of barrel due to fast burning powder and low pressure, but a 2" or 4" barrel is pretty skimpy. I'd like to see some velocity numbers out of this gun for .410. I don't shoot shot shells over my chrony due to I don't wanna bust it with the wad, but I would suspect velocity out of a short tube to be a problem. I'd rather have one well placed 225 grain silvertip .45 bullet than 5 .33 caliber round ball hitting in an erratic pattern, personally. I use 00 buck in my .31 pocket Remington replica, work great! That little hunk of lead is ploddin' along at under 800 fps out of that gun and energies are in the neighborhood of the .22 LR. Even five of 'em, knowing they won't be well placed, just luck of the draw where they'll go, doesn't make me confident in the load.

If someone gets one of these things and has an Ohler or some chronograph with large remote screens they don't mind shooting it over, I'd sure like some numbers off the .410 shot load to get an idea of what they'll shoot like. I just ain't confident that they'll have enough energy even in five shot to assure a quick stop. Would I wanna be shot with one? HECK NO! But, I just think in all cases I'd have more confidence in one well placed 225 grain .45 caliber hollowpoint at 1000 fps pushing 400 + ft lbs. I keep a 20 gauge side by side by the bed loaded with 20 pellet #3 buckshot loads. They'll hit inside a 4" circle at 10 feet even out of cylinder bore, but that's my safe room gun. If I'm searching bumps in the night, I don't want a long gun, too easy for a BG to grab. A handgun is a better tool in close quarters in my little house. If this .410 revolver would throw a tight pattern like a long gun, I'd have more confidence in it, but with five round balls already spread to 10" at 30 feet out of a LONG gun, what's the spread going to be at 10 feet out of a RIFLED 2 to 4" barrel? Not enough precision for me to trust it, frankly, combined with the fact that you have a .33 caliber ball (very light, forget the grain weight) moving at BEST probably 1000 fps, I'd just rather stick with what I have.

I think if I did keep one of these (with 3" chamber) for home defense, I'd load the first two chambers, maybe, with the 00 buck rounds, then the last three with Winchester .45 Colt silvertip rounds. You might need to follow up those first two shots with something more effective if you're past handshake range and you don't get lucky where those five shot go. I've never won the lotto, don't feel real confident on luck in a self defense scenario.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw the 4410/Tracker/Judge last month in the new Taurus catalogue. Intrigued enough to purchase the 6.5" barrel stainless model. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NativeTexan has hit the nail on the head for what the real question is. IF the power out of the short rifled barrel can come close to what's out of the longer smooth barrel, I'll be satisfied using it for close-quarters (home/car) defense. The fact is - we just don't know that yet. That Taurus video with 2 1/2" shell birdshot is just a visual effect... the 3-inch, 000 buck is where the defensive action will be.

And, of course, .45 LC is a terrific defensive caliber - but there are some old weak-eyed farts like me (or others) who would welcome the advantage of some spread to their effective line-of-fire. 5 big holes per trigger-pull ain't to be scoffed at.

·
Super Moderator
35,011 Posts
Yeah, it could be a good alternative for the visually challenged or even just someone who is near night blind and needs one for home defense. I don't know if there's enough of that market to support it, but hey, I applaud Taurus for thinking out of the box. One of the things I love about their line is the HUGE variety they have. They are THE Smith and Wesson revolver alternative in my mind. Yeah, Rugers are fantastic, but they don't have, but three basic DA platforms and not much variety on those platforms. I am into the Blackhawk single actions, but I no longer own a Ruger DA. They just don't have anything I want. The SP101 is pretty sweet with 3" tube, but my M66 3" is only a few ounces heavier and has the adjustable sight I prefer and an extra round to boot.

You wouldn't see RUGER try a .410 revolver, I can guarantee you that. LOL I can't even see Smith and Wesson doing one. Hats off to Taurus.

·
Registered
21 Posts
dajowi said:
Saw the 4410/Tracker/Judge last month in the new Taurus catalogue. Intrigued enough to purchase the 6.5" barrel stainless model. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
dajowi,
Got the very same revolver last weekend and within an hour was at the range putting .410 #6 through targets at 25ft and 10ft. Have to admit I debated between the 3" and the 6.5" and went with the latter. I like the novelty of this gun (like the versatility of different loads). Got some #4 and 000 .410 loads and .45 Colt rounds for next weekend. Given the lukewarm or negative opinions about this gun I wonder why it gets people's attention when I'm at the range. Maybe they don't want one but I bet they'd sure like to fire it. HEH HEH HEH!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. I just ordered the 4510 Judge in Bbl 6-1/2" which should be in this week. This is the judge that can handle the 3" magnum 410 shell.

I will give a range report asap.

Does anyone know anyone who has one (4510TKR) or a 4410 in 6-1/2"? I hear the 3" incredulously shoots tighter shot patterns than the 6-1/2 from a person's range report on a forum recently. I would think it's because of a rifled barrel but still, I thought the longer barrel would tighten things up a bit.

THE ABOVE IS COMPLETELY WRONG. I just got off the phone with Taurus, and the information they gave last Monday is wrong! They are not even shipping the three inch magnum until later this year. BOTH Taurus and the distributor Ellott Brothers verified to me the three inch chamber model has been distributed and is available for me to purchase. SO WRONG, as per Taurus today, a week later. They made me go through all the ordering, downpayment, excitement, etc. for naught.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally got a chance to take the "judge" out and shoot a couple boxes of shotshells. Didn't have any .45 Colt loads to try. Nicely exploded water filled gallon plastic milk jugs with 000 buckshot at around 15 feet. We all were impressed. All shooting was done in SA mode which is fine with me. I found the trigger smooth and crisp. I'm looking forward to trying out some .45 Colt loads shortly to see how they fare. Although it may prove to be true that this gun doesn't really have a niche, but one things for sure, we all had a "hoot" shooting it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been reading all the comments and reviews. Here is my question: Has anyone ever actually used a "Judge" for self/home-defense? I have read a lot of opinion--pro and con, but that's all. I found another forum where one person claimed to have shot snakes with it.

Dick

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well, I have my JUDGE set up to use for HD, 00 Buck, in two cylinders and 250 gr JHP in the other three. NO, I have not had to use it for the purpose. But from MHO, it would be a stopper with either of the loads.
Like last years posts, it is a hoot to shoot, with everything from #9 shot to 250 gr 45 colts. I originally bought mine to use for HD, and varmints on my farm, due to houses close by that I did not want to hit, if I was shooting at a coyote, fox or Bobcat. with the right loads in it, it will do either job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts