Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first post, not my first Taurus. I have owned their 1911 and a tracker in 17 hmr. The m44 is my first new Taurus that I have purchased. I have always had a thing for 44mag. anyways heres a couple pics. hope to shoot it this weekend.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Beautiful. I looked really hard at this one before buying my 444 ultralite. Really liked the balance of it. In the end I was looking for something to take hiking so weight won out. Had I been looking for a fun 44 mag to take to the range I would have gotten this one. And saved $50 or so. Enjoy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking for a 44mag. It's not very often you run into the 4" barrel at least in my area most are 6" or better. One thing I did realize till I cleaned it, The barrel is actually only 3" long. The last inch is the porting and expansion chamber.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I bought the blue version last month, had it out for the first time today. Good gun, the porting makes a big difference in how it handles. One thing that surprised me was that my hand loads with the Lyman 429421 Keith bullet in them actually fit in the cylinder. That bullet is long nosed and I figured I would end up using a shorter bullet. I did find that they have to have a heavy crimp so they don't creep fwd as the slightest shift from recoil ties up the gun; not a problem with Rugers and Smiffs, their cylinders are longer. This gun is going to work really well with cast bullets and heavy charges. I have the 41 version also, great guns, both.
I'd be really surprised if you weren't really happy with the 44 Tracker, I know I am. 150 rounds of cast bullet hand loads first time out, mmmmmgoood!!!!

That is a difference between the 44 and the 41, the 41 has rifling to the muzzle, no expansion chamber.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would had loved to had gotten a hold of a tracker in 44, I was lucky to come across this one thought. I'm happy

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's a GOOD looking revolver,my friend! I'm wanting something similar for my birthday (June) :D And welcome from eastern TN :)

·
Banned
655 Posts
The Tracker in 44 mag is nice (since it's so light) but frankly the Model 44 is probably a little better since it has the large frame. With the Tracker, some loads above 300 grain can actually stick out beyond the cylinder thus making it so you can't shoot.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have fun fun fun, nothing like a 44 magnum to awaken the senses, and the 4" will do exactly that....fun fun fun...enjoy!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really liking the looks of the hogue wood grips That I'm seeing in the pic thread. any idea who actually has them in stock? Other than ebay?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have been searching for wood grips for my Trackers. I talked to Herrett and Hogue, both companies have no intention of making wood grips for the Tracker. Hogue stated that the grip frame was narrow and they feel that wood will not withstand the recoil over the long term. Herrett simply said that they have never made a grip for a Taurus and had no intention of starting.
Really too bad, I have Herrett and Hogue wood grips on Colts, Rugers and Smiffs and T/C Contenders and really like them. The Taurus "Ribber" grips on the Trackers work really well but they are too small for me and they are Butt ugly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a set on hogue wood grips on a ruger sp101. They felt so much better than the stock grips. I don't mind the rubber ones on my taurus but they could be just a little fatter in the palm area. the wood hogues would take care of that.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looking to purchase the Taurus 44 Tracker with the 4" barrel and porting as soon as I can find one and order it.

Thanks.....................Twin

·
Registered
96 Posts
Any other pro's or con's about the Tracker???

...................Twin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally got to the range. I picked up 150 rounds of blazer, before I read about the sticking cases??. I only had 2 cylinders that were hanging up. I did a little polishing on the so hopefully they will be ok and not stick next time out. The recoil was very mild with the ported/comp barrel. acuracy was ok but most of that was me. Next trip out I am going to shoot off a rest so I can sight it in properly. All in all I am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I was in the gun shop at The AAFEX on Malmstrom AFB today. They had Tracker 44 Magnums in stock in blue and stainless. The price was a little higher than when I bought my blue 44 Tracker there in January.
As a point of interest, all the hand gun display racks were full, revolvers and semi-autos, from 22 Rimfire to 45 auto and 454 Casull. Ammunition on the shelves, too.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Man that is what you call a hand cannon.. Nice looking shooting iron. Welcome from central Hellaware..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts