Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new 405 stainless- love the way the gun looks and feels, but...seems to be shooting about 2" high of POA. Anyone else with similar problem/solution? And can't seem to find a leather (or really any) holster/s that fit. The info on Taurus 'Revolvers' lists it as being under the 'small' frame section, which I would think would be like a J frame- it looks more like a K frame to me.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
A few things that might help with the POA. First, make sure to try different types of ammo. Different weights and bullet designs can affect point of impact. Second, start closer to the target and make sure that you are hitting where you want and then move back. Third, take a look at this chart and see if you are doing things that would affect POA. I had to do a little bit of playing with my 405 to get where I wanted to go.

·
32,481 Posts
Nope, it is built on the small frame. Some things may have been re-engineered like Taurus 856 is built on the 85 small frame, but holds 6 shots instead of 5. Taurus had to work with that and got it right.

Second what was the weight of the bullets used?

Thirdly, different bullet weights and various brands are going to hit at different points of aim or impact.

Fourthly. All fixed sighted revolvers and pistols need some Kentucky windage because of this all. It's something one has to learn about for their own example of what ever gun they have.

Triying out differernt brands,bullet weights, and ammo types is going to be necessary to find out which is the closest to hit the desired POA and has the best accuracy. It comes with the territory. We cannot know what ammo Taurus uses to sight in with.

Ammo comes made in batches. If a certain batch number hits exactly where you want it then get all of that batch number you can and if you can for that particular gun.

Even with the same ammo batch two different revolvers will have completely different results as no two are exactly the same. Same it true for autos or any other mechanical contrivance.

Revolver Fan also hit on some good points as well.

A number of other things. Proper grip,proper trigger pull straght back, and follow through go into this. Even if you have much experience shooting other types of guns or similar types the 405 is a change up from those other ones. Each gun has its own unique characteristics. That we have to also learn.

·
17,585 Posts
2" is pretty close for practical purposes, but of you can find a lighter bullet load try that.

·
32,481 Posts
How do you like that Taurus says Compact frame revolver. That seems closer to the truth.Shheesh!

I should have known. I own 441 and 431s.

The 405 is classified with the Trackers. So is the model 44.

Viola!! Mystery solved.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RevolverFan thanks for the chart and feedback. So, you didn't have any problem with the POI to speak of? I actually adapted a 6 O'clock hold at 7 yds to get it near the 10x.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Qwiks draw, I actually called Taurus on this one because on the web site it shows it as both a small and compact frame? Anyhow, I wanted the hard rubber grips instead of the 'gripper' - Taurus advised it is on the "compact" frame for anyone else that was confused by the info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have shot the Smith model 36 with the many variables, and never had this kind of discrepancy in POI at a short range like 7 yards. I know there's a big difference in a lot of factors, and I was using 180gr ammo. I will try a lighter load, see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Qwiks draw, I actually called Taurus on this one because on the web site it shows it as both a small and compact frame? Anyhow, I wanted the hard rubber grips instead of the 'gripper' - Taurus advised it is on the "compact" frame for anyone else that was confused by the info.
Hmmmmm. Currently looking @ Taurus' website, I only see the 405 under "small" framed revolvers. It is nowhere to be found under "compact" framed revolvers. I will call them tomorrow, as I am interested in a ribber grip for my small framed M94 and M905......hence the 405 is shown with that ribber grip.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hmmmmm. Currently looking @ Taurus' website, I only see the 405 under "small" framed revolvers. It is nowhere to be found under "compact" framed revolvers. I will call them tomorrow, as I am interested in a ribber grip for my small framed M94 and M905......hence the 405 is shown with that ribber grip.
same grip as the judge.

steve

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
RevolverFan thanks for the chart and feedback. So, you didn't have any problem with the POI to speak of? I actually adapted a 6 O'clock hold at 7 yds to get it near the 10x.
I did, but for me it seemed to have more to do with ammo choice, etc. I was reminded of this again yesterday when the .40 Speer 180 TMJ had a lot more spank than the Federal 180 FMJ when fired from my Ruger SR40. You have to put this into the computer when calculating all the variables that affect POI.

BTW, I have learned to start closer to the target, focus on trigger control, and then move back as I got comfortable with the firearm and loading. You would not believe how much trigger control can affect how a handgun performs -- especially with a revolver.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I know in my snub nose revolvers chambered in 38/357 the lighter bullets like 110 to127 grain shoot high, the 158 grain are spot on. This holds true with my Taurus's and a Ruger LCR I had.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts