Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot a buddy's new 851 last week.It rivals my Smith and wesson,and has a better trigger.I like the shrouded hammer option,I think he paid just over $300 for it.It shot POA at Delf defense distances(not sure how far,wewere in my back yard.)handled +p 135gr. gold dots well.all in all,if I was in the market for anothersnubby(and who isn't) I wouldn't hesitate....

·
Super Moderator
35,285 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my M85UL's DA trigger, the best I've ever owned out of the box. Taurus is very underated, I think, because they don't have S and W stamped on the side plate. But, they're every bit the gun Smith and Wesson is anymore. They have steadily improved over 30 years or so while Smith had declined. This is JMHO, of course. I ain't sayin' I wouldn't buy a Smith, just that you get more for your dollar IMHO with a Taurus. The Smith M642 is a dandy little carry piece, but the DA trigger doesn't compare to Taurus. It's a fine gun and they were selling for about $305 at a local shop not too long ago and if I'd have had the cash at the time, well, I might have bought one. I really love OLD Smiths, still have an early 60s M10, but my newer M66 Taurus's trigger is just as good and that gun shoots a little better. That old Smith was built at the APEX of Smith and Wesson craftsmanship, though. This is probably why Smith and Wesson guns on the used market from that era in good shape bring big money. But, I'd rather have a new Taurus than a used Smith. Again, JMHO. Actually, though, used Tauri go for CHEAP! There isn't the huger following or demand for the marque and that makes 'em a FAR better deal to the guy that just wants a shooter. I've gotten STEALS on my two M66s used. I love those things, too, and carry the 3" a LOT IWB.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah,I'm a sucker for cheap guns....I have a Rossi,and a Taurus pt945,and pt111...I didn't pay more than$250 for any of them.And they all work 100%.
I also have a smith 642,and after about 400 rounds it had to back to the factory,th timing was all screwed up.Thye fixed it and I got it back in 4 days,but still,I didn't expect anything like that w/ a smith.
You know it's odd,I almost never see a used Taurus revolver for sale....tons of s/w though,I wonder if that's a sign.People must hang on to their Taurus's...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
My 851 is awesome!!! It has a great single action pull and an amazing double action pull. It has been 100% reliable and is very accurate. And to top it off, I got in NIB for about $230 ( one of the few real steals I've gotten in my gunbroker purchasing ) I love the concealed hammer versus the hammerless. Anyway.... I highly recommend this revolver - wish more people knew about it!!

·
Super Moderator
35,285 Posts
I love the concealed hammer versus the hammerless.
Yeah, that's highly desireable. I'd like a concealed hammer (body guard style) .38 some day. Great for the pocket and you can still cock for a single action shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts